1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to this. Could use some help!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rocketgirl1, Apr 10, 2012.

1. rocketgirl1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm new to this ,and I hope I could get some help and advice. I'm a college student and at a some what accepting school in the Midwest. But I still don't know how to come out. I'm not even sure how to totally accept being different. If any one has any advice or if I could talk to someone that would be nice to know I'm not the only one.

2. Jim1454

(I created a unique thread for this.)

Hi there and welcome to EC. I'm glad you've touched on the 2 things that are separate issues. Accepting that you're gay yourself and coming out to others. It's better to get the first one over with (or at least well underway) before attempting the second.

I say that because if you're not comfortable or happy about your orientation, the people you tell will pick up on this and assume that they're not supposed to be happy or comfortable with it either. And that's not really the reaction that you want to get.

But how to accept it without the support of family and friends? Well - you can hang out here. We're an awesome bunch and you'll soon realize that if we can be awesome and gay, then you can be too. Or perhaps there is someone you know who knows you well enough and will see through your own attitude towards this and react in a positive and supportive way anyway.

3. Linthras

Linthras Guest

As the previous poster said, be sure of yourself first before exposing yourself to others.
    Once you're honest with yourself, you could start with telling the person you trust the most, whether it be a friend or family member.
    Comming out for the first time will give you a boost of confidence and after that you'll probably feel more confident telling it to other people.
    The main thing to remember though is: you don't have to tell anyone.
    I myself only came out to my parents and closest friend, everyone else will have to ask, as it's my sexual orientation not my personality.
    I am who I am, knowing or not knowing my sexuality won't change that, nor will I hide my sexual orientation.
    Just find out who you are and who you like and from point be true to yourself!
    Best wishes and good luck,
    Thomas