1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suffering through the bitter self-loathing and heartbreak of coming out. Advice plz!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gb981309, Apr 11, 2012.

1. gb981309

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Who do I talk to? I feel like an idiot for making a big deal about my sexuality. I feel like society makes it so. In my mind, I shouldn't have to even be questioning anything in the first place. I've lived mostly straight since puberty struck but now I can't live like this anymore. I wonder if I was ever attracted to guys, or if it was just a psychological attachment and dependence.

I am an attractive, young female and I am approached frequently by the opposite sex. However, I am never interested and it causes me to expend a great deal of energy maintaining the "friends only" boundaries as to not hurt the guy's feelings.

Point is, my health is taking a toll from this constant worry. I don't want to bring it up with my male therapist of two years, because I don't want him to think I'm inventing this for attention. I don't want to be a lesbian I just want to be like my friends.

2. alwayshope11

Re: Suffering through the bitter self-loathing and heartbreak of coming out. Advice p

Hey.. I know how your feeling. I'm a guy, but I get it. I've lived straight for a long long time and only realized I needed to do begin the process of coming out because I was close to marrying a girl and I was still having sexual attractions to men. I have a therapist, and I definitely reccommend talking to yours about the issue. If he is a good therapist, then he won't judge. And I know what you mean when you say you don't want to be gay...but when thinking that, take relief in the fact that you didn't choose this..you need to be who you are to be truly happy. You may not know who you truly are yet, but our sexuality is only a tiny piece of who we are. Work with your therapist! Or PM me if you want to talk more!

3. October

Re: Suffering through the bitter self-loathing and heartbreak of coming out. Advice p

Wish I had a therapist to talk to lol I would talk to him about it. After all, isnt that his job? Being gay doesn't define you. You can be just like your friends and like girls. It's a win win:slight_smile:

4. Re: Suffering through the bitter self-loathing and heartbreak of coming out. Advice p

Society does impress upon us, unfairly so, the need for labels. It sucks. I couldn't agree more. I hate it. I wish we could just be born, with no expectations for who we are going to be or who we will love. But it isn't so. You are who you are and you can't change that. I'm trying to accept the fact that I'm not straight. I don't know to what degree of crooked I am, but I know I'm not straight. I also don't think I'm totally gay. Some (probably most) of us are somewhere in the middle. I did research on sexuality for a college paper my freshman year, and discovered that sexuality is a huge grey area. It's hard to define, hard to measure. Hard to understand. My point is, few people are probably 100% straight, or 100% gay. Some people will never realize this, and they be lead happy fulfilled lives. I see your new to EC, and welcome. Take advantage of what you have found here. This afternoon, I posted something and I was feeling pretty lousy. After talking it through in the forum, I'm feeling much better.

5. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Society does put us in the awkward position of having to make a big deal of our sexuality, so don't feel bad about it. It's okay to spend some time and energy getting comfortable with your sexuality.

I'd say talk it over with your therapist, and if he can't handle it or won't believe you, you need a new therapist.