1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i wait till after i graduate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lostinthought9, Jan 4, 2008.

1. lostinthought9

hi, i dont know if this was discussed before, i would check previous posts, but i dont know how lol....so yea my question is..

Should i wait to come out before or after i graduate (high school)??

I personally think it would be easier to come out after, cuz i still have a year and a half to go, and i dont feel like dealing with all the name calling and stuff like that....so yea....can some1 lend me some advice on this, would espicially like to hear from people who have came out before graduation.....

thanks-

2. Connor

Connor Guest

It depends on so many things. Your parent's attitudes, your school's attitude, your living area's attitude. I could go on. You might prefer to come out when going to university and moving out, your parents and everyone you associate with would have time to think about it all before really reacting. Would you be comfortable with your school knowing your sexual orientation, or not? And how might the people in your school react?

3. step49x

A agree with what Connor said. Another thing to think about is, you don't have to come out to everyone at once. You could pick one or two friends, and just be out to them. They could also give you some help in judging how your school would react, should you choose to come out to everyone. Do pick carefully, though, as some people aren't very good at keeping secrets.

4. AJ92

Out Status:
    A few people
    im younger than you, but im in highschool so i know how it is. If you have a really close friend that you can trust not to tell anyone then i would, it will make you feel better. But otherwise i would wait because people in highschool are really immature when it comes to sexuality and you dont want to look back at highschool and have negitive memories and how immature everyone was. At college people really arent so mean, and you could easily find a group (i went to early college at a college for 1 1/2 years, but now im back a regular h/s)

5. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a senior and I'm graduating soon. I've chosen to tell a few friends who are totally supportive. I'll wait until I graduate and move on to college soon, as I feel I'll be able to fully be out then. That's what I'm doing. If you really want people to know now, then I would advise telling a couple people that you can trust and who you're comfortable with. It's been great for me. I don't feel the bursting need to tell people now, so I can wait until graduation, when I will tell people. That's just what's worked for me.

6. lostinthought9

thanks! and i do really have a close friend i can count on to not tell anyone about my sexuality....

7. Wired106

I would have to say, wait until after graduation unless your positive your absolute best friend wouldn't say anything or be mean.. because if somehow it gets out, it would kinda ruin school and personally I wouldnt like going to school at all if that happened to me, and I kinda did tell my best friend before winter break and we got in a fight and now he told some people but im trying to cover everything up

8. Bryan

THis sounds like a good question for the GLBT hotline glnh.org

9. nisomer

I completely came out my senior year of high school. Like the others said, if you have some close friends you can trust and if you think they'd be okay with it, then go for it. You will become much better friends with this person and it would also be a good way to jumpstart your coming out process.

10. otc877

otc877 Guest

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I've come out to a good friend who I knew would be supportive//understanding and would keep it under wraps.
    I'm debating whether or not I want to come out to my high school as well. I agree with the others though, if you school has a GSA club or some other form of gay friendly outlet then that would help.

The questions I keep asking myself are

What would it change? Do I really want a relationship in high school anyways? Would I lose any friends? What would my peers/teachers think?

I would suggest to come out to one person before you decide to come out to your high school. If you have a friend who you know will be supportive and will have no problems with it, it makes everything so much easier to deal with.