1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queergender folks...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mischa91, Apr 12, 2012.

1. mischa91

How do you express you gender identity?

I identify as queer gender because sometimes i feel female and sometimes male; queer gender feels comfortable for me. I am biologically female.

But, i don't know how to express this part of me. I hope that makes sense. So, how do you express the queerness of your gender? Do you ask people to use gender neutral pronouns? do you tell people?

Also, I want more queer friends! :smilewave

2. Harlequin

I'm also genderqueer (female at birth). The label that best describes me is genderfluid, but I just use genderqueer. On the spectrum, though, I usually slide from about 50% male to 85% male. Pronoun choice doesn't really bother me, though I feel a little bit uncomfortable being called a girl / she, her, etc. so at school, with a couple of my supportive friends, I'm trying to transition into using male pronouns and my preferred (traditionally male) name instead of my given (traditionally female) one.

3. Curly

I don't know, maybe I'm wierd. I identify as queergender but I don't have a problem being identified as a girl even though I don't feel comfortable looking "feminine". I have short hair, boyish cloths and once in a while if I feel like it I would bind. So, I'm like Harlequin, and I do slide between being a little masculine to looking like a total boy.

I'm new at this so my friends use female pronouns and I don't have a problem with it. Also, I don't feel all that comfortable explaining to my friends about what genderqueer means because I feel self-conscious and I feel like I am telling them what a freak I am (something I got to work on being ok with). My brother looked up the definition of gender queer online after I told him and he responded to me with, "so basically your confused" ....:bang:

express it anyway you feel comfortable with.

I'm queer!! ... I can be a queer friend :smilewave

4. KaotikPrincess

I have never gone through this before. I mean I know I am a girl and I wouldn't have it any other way but sometimes I admire men because it seems like a girls life is a lot more complex than a guys. When I was younger and playing dolls with my friends I usually found myself with the male roles, I don't know why I guess maybe to escape from the female role temporarily made things interesting and fun. I have always considered myself a tomboy, I don't care to wear dresses but I do like to fix myself up at times. I don't wish I was a guy but I am constantly thinking about what it would be like, not to live as a guy but to engage in sexual intercourse with a woman as a guy, kinda weird lOl

Anyways Just live your life the way you want to and call yourself whatever you want. It doesn't matter if other people are confused about your sexuality or "gender", what matters is what you think of it :icon_wink

5. mischa91

I'm about 50-75% male. I really want to be more boyish in the way i look but i'm tiny, literally the shortest and petite-ist of tiny people. I'm getting my hair cut soon, it was short for me (i used to have hair right down my back then i got it all cut off). Last time i went to get it cut the hairdresser said it would make me look like a 15 year old boy (i'm 28) so i backed off and went with her suggestion, this time i think i'll tell her i want to look like a boy.

YAY!! First queer friend :eusa_danc

i'm lucky maybe in that if i wear a sports bra i'm almost completely flat chested, but my face definitely is quite feminine.

I've only really told 1 friend that i'm bi, no one i know knows that i'm queer gender, i'm not entirely sure how to approach the topic, plus the people i hang with are my barn buddies, so they see me with mud all over me and sometimes twigs in my hair :slight_smile: never very girly.

I was always the guy role when playing anything when i was little. I'd like to have sex with a guy as a guy, so you're definitely not weird.

Yup, this is a part of me and i was just looking for a way to express it more. Definitely going to start with the hair, since i already dress gender neutral. Plus, my hair is at that annoying length when it's not short and it's not long, that in between space where you want to pull it out for being in the way. need a hair cut!

6. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I ask people not to use female pronouns, and mostly they forget or don't understand, but sometimes they switch pronouns. I've asked people to address me by my genderqueer (somewhat masculine) name, and most people can handle that much more easily than the pronouns. Other than that I just wear boy's clothes and really short hair. It all depends on what you're comfortable with.

7. LimePopsicle

LimePopsicle Guest

Disclaimer: I'm not even sure what the heck people would consider me, but I feel what I feel...let's stick with that.

I'm biologically female, but feel much more comfortable identifying as male. That being said, I also feel feminine at times. Rarely, but it's still there. Sadly, I still have to dress and act like a girl because 1) My parents still aren't used to the male thing and 2) I'm still...reluctant to let others know. I want to express myself more, but it's so 'normal' to fake being a certain way that it feels terrifying to be open about how I feel.

To add to it, whenever I tell my friends and try to hint that I would prefer if they transition to referring to me as a male (not all at once, I know that it would be ridiculous to expect out of them), they just disagree completely. They say I'm female and that's it.

8. Curly

OMG sort of same thing happened with my hair. I had super long hair then when I came out I was like finally, I could cut it now. Sadly I only got a medium length hair cut cause I was afraid of what my parents were gonna say. My hair dresser is a lesbian friend of a friend of mine, and he (prefered pronoun) had this "knowing" smile on his face at the time. A month and a half later, I couldn't stand it anymore. I went back and he was like are you ready to cut it short now? There was a lot of my hair on the floor that day and my only regret was that I didn't just do it the first time.

I need to put on 2 super tight sports bras to be sort of flat enough-ish. I used to be pretty petite too but when I gained weight the first place it went to was to my chest. And my friend is absolutely jeleous of this and can't understand why I don't want breasts to show. I'm actually gonna see today and go get a proper binder, maybe they would be more comfortable.

9. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Can't you make the transition gradually? I mean, dress a little bit less girly, and act more how you want to and less how you're expected to. If you change bit by bit then it might be easier on your parents (compared to suddenly changing when you turn 16 or 18 or just lose patience with the whole situation). And once your friends have seen you go through that change over the course of a few weeks or months or years, they might understand that it makes sense to call you a guy, or whatever you want to be called.

10. Curly

The gradual transition is a good idea. It hard for some people to accept things they don't understand right away. But for me I know it really sucked to have to hold back once I knew how I felt and how I wanted to be. I don't live with my parents and when they see me, unfortunately they won't see the gradual change, so I might have to back track a little bit when I visit them or else they might freak out.

I think it's important to know that it's not your fault. We try our best to make the people around us feel comfortable with who we are, but you can't be held responsible for other people not accepting it or how they would react to it.

11. mischa91

I think if i suddenly asked people to call me by a different name it would be hard, i work with my dad so upsetting my family isn't really something i can risk right now. I do wear gender neutral clothes and it's time for the hair to go, they can make whatever assumptions they want and if they want to ask questions i can totally answer them. I just wish i'd done this when i was a teenager or at uni.

I sometimes on the incredibly rare occasion i feel like a girl, i never wear makeup and i really do hate to get all dressed up. I know how you feel when you say it's easy to fake being 'normal', it is easy. And yes, terrifying to open up but sometimes you gotta be ready, and i'm so ready!

I still haven't talked to anyone i know about it so haven't had the chance to ask anyone to use male pronouns, maybe someday i will.

I've always wanted to shave my head, just to see how it feels. One day i'm going to do that! When i first got all my hair cut off i was at uni, i got it cut about to my shoulder and then let it grow again because i hated the length it was. More recently (in the last few years) i've had it shortish, i think the shortest it's been was to the nape of my neck. I'd love to go shorter, maybe get a pixie cut or something but my hairdresser was against it last time. This time i'll talk to her and say if it is going to make me look boyish i'm totally fine with that. My hair grows like a weed anyway so even if i do hate it it'll grow really quickly.

I just have to go with the 1 tight sports bra and if i wear slightly loose tops i look flat, it's great! my weight (if i gain any) goes to my thighs. I'd like to get a binder, just to see how it looks, but man are they expensive. :tears:

12. Curly

wow shaving your head ... now I got to say that takes some serious courage. My hair isn't as short as I would like quite yet cause its got some longer bangs and such. I for sure want a shorter pixie cut. But I never thought about shaving it all off. You would save on a lot of shampoo!

I'm lucky I live in Toronto, there was a store here that had it and I went into just try it out. It took some serious aerobics to get into one of those and I loved the effect. Yea they are expensive, mine was 40 bucks. But its way more comfortable than wearing 2 tight sports bras.

13. Alexandria

Im born male myself, but definitely gender fluid/genderqueer. As I have said, I float between male and female spiritually as my mood wants. That said, IF I had the opportunity where as far as the world had been concerned id always been female, Id take it, without hesitation. Im always looking to make friends too <^_~>

14. mischa91

I used to shave my brothers head for him because he couldn't reach the back. I always loved the way it felt right after the cut. One day, when i work up the courage i'll do it. It's only hair, it grows.

I might get one when i get my tax refund. It's nice that you got to try one on first, that's what i worry about shopping for clothes online, getting the fit right is always a bit tricky.

Hi :smilewave

I envy my twin quite a bit, if only i'd been born in his body.. *sigh* i'd be tall too.

15. Harlequin

Oh geez, if I had the choice I would cut my hair short and dress completely androgynous/male, but unfortunately my parents accidentally found me out and they are quite homo/transphobic when pertaining to me. My mom is therefore taking steps not to allow me to get a haircut or to allow me to buy anything from the guys' sections in stores. I make do with baggy turtlenecks and khakis, therefore. My chest thankfully isn't that big, but I'm beginning to develop "curves" and alarmingly too prominent hips and butt.

The only problem with my cutting my hair is that I have eczema on my neck, among other places, and short hair just makes it look worse. Hopefully it'll heal quickly though and stay mild. I really want to cut my hair and dress "properly," hopefully as soon as college starts.

Count me in as a queer friend :slight_smile:

16. mischa91

Woohoo, queer friends galore. (&&&)

I do have the choice and my mother still manages to make things awkward. Thankfully she seems to have gotten the idea that i will not wear the frilly/pink/'pretty' things she tried to buy me for birthdays and christmas and now doesn't try to buy me clothes. Last time i got my hair cut she complained that she didn't like it and it was way too short. She doesn't get told that i'm getting it cut now, i just go and show her afterwards.

I live so close to my parents and see them everyday that it does make it hard to suddenly make radical changes without causing too much of an uproar.

I hope your neck heals up/doesn't flare up to much and that you get to be more yourself when you go to college.

17. Mitch

Mitch Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I "male", though I really don't care. I don't have a preferred pronoun, or a preferred name. I just don't care. Male, female, andro, queer... I think I'm all four tbh if it's possible. I don't see why people are so concerned with gender... I think we are all the same, but I'm just weird =|

18. Curly

Even before I came out, I didn't like the stuff my mom bought me. Heck, I didn't like the stuff I bought for myself.

@Harlequin ... College will be a great opportunity. I came out after university so I guess I didn't really use it to its fullest potential. And I hear that California is very liberal :icon_wink. Btw maybe cutting your hair short will help the back of your neck by not having hair there covering it or something along those lines. Spin it to your advantage?

@mischa ... I also dropped hints to my mom about cutting my hair and showed her a pixie cut. She was like "don't get that, its too much like a boy". So I didn't get a pixie cut :icon_wink ... and I didn't tell her before I cut it. I havn't video chatted with them yet, so I actually don't know how they are gonna respond. (ok super dorky ... but on NCIS)"better ask for forgiveness than for permission". You know on the plus side, because your parents are around, you can sort of ease them into it.

@mitch ... Yea people are super obsessed with gender, but that's really the first thing people want to know when you meet someone new. And most people do assume that the sex your born into is the same as your gender, so people notice it and react when it doesn't match.

19. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am physically a male but I am mentally a female. With people who I am out to I will ask them to call me b female pronouns in private. Also online with unknowns (e.g. playing Minecraft) I will just say I am a gir from the beging.

20. I'm still getting used to embracing my whole sexuality. The whole bit about being gay, and a biological male..

But I have noticed that I have always felt very androgynous. I have tried on feminine clothes before, and it excites me.. I feel like I'm expressing another aspect of myself. Now I'm not necessarily into getting a sex change, but I don't see why we can't embrace.. both sides of ourselves.

Although personally I would look more feminine if I could choose. I have VERY broad shoulders.. :thumbsup::slight_smile: