1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get them to understand...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BlissfullyAware, Apr 12, 2012.

1. BlissfullyAware

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So i came out to a couple of my close friends last week, as I've been doing to people close to me over these past few months, and I hit a really frustrating brick wall in getting them to understand.

I tried to get them to understand I'm attracted to a certain type of person in which physical attributes play a smaller role than most people, and it didn't really matter the gender of the person to me, but I don't think they could wrap their heads around it. Even towards the end of the conversation I could tell it didn't bother them in the slightest (which is AWESOMEEE :grin:) but at the same time they were almost no closer in understanding me.

I know a lot of this will just come in time, but is there anything I can do to help them understand, now that I know they're accepting?

2. sevinup07

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If they're accepting of it, does it really matter if they understand completely? Hell, I don't even understand my own sexuality completely. I guess if they ask and are really curious, try to put it in the best words you can.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be difficult, maybe you could try and explain that to you gender is just like hair colour or eye colour and you dont really have a preference, im sure you have probably done this already. As the other poster said im sure in time they will understand better.

4. Mad Man L

Maybe write down a clear way of expressing what you're trying to say on a piece of paper then read it out to them? That might mean that you can express it without stumbling over anything or missing out details. But aside from that, I don't know how you could get them to understand. In the end, with very complex things such as sexuality and gender, they don't necessarily need to know anyway.

5. davaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are your friends so I understand why you want them to understand you so badly. You could always try different methods of explaining but at the end of the day if they still don't understand , there really is no forcing them. The good thing is that they accept you. I think maybe you just have to give them sometime to view how you operate around different people that you like . like say for instance you fins someone you like ,if you haven't, you could tell them all the reasons of his/her/hir's personality that attracted you etc. I guess all you have to do is wait. Just like how you can't rush love, it's the same thing . You have to allow them some time to understand you and in due time they should.

6. stumble along

I understand what you are going through, I'm very much pansexual but for The sake of ease I just tell people I'm bi and that I'm attracted to the soul not the physical manifestation (for the most part)
    That's what I told a friend and he said it was "very nice" so maybe try that?

7. BlissfullyAware

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find myself doing that more often than not, its easier to say bisexual and have people understand what you mean then say pansexual and leave them confused... I like that line, about the soul, I think the next time I have a chance I'll try wording it that way :grin: