1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When a guy gives you his number

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zapha, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Zapha

I feel a bit weird asking this question but here goes,

Recently I've had a few guys leave me their numbers, and I haven't really been sure what to do. I'm a bit shy, and when it comes to dating, unfortunately I'm never the one to make the first move :dry: So when a guy gives you his number, what do you do, what should you say? My problem is that when a guy leaves you his number you're the one that kinda has to make the first move, and I'm just not good at that.

Any help is appreciated, I've had a few guys in the past month leave me their number (which has never happened before o_o) and I'm not really sure how to handle the situation.

#1 Zapha, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. Pain

Pain Guest

Well, call it! What could it hurt if you just call, and maybe even ask why they left you their number to be sure. Whether it's for just shooting the breeze or meeting up, it would provide an interesting experience at least.
    Might go,
    "Hello?"
    "Hey, I'm __________... you gave me your number (a week ago or so)..."
    Just let it go from there :grin:

3. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Alternately, if you can't call the numbers you are given (I get it; I have a hard enough time calling my boss to ask her why the schedule change she told me she did never made it onto the actual schedule -_-), you could always try slipping other people your phone number :grin: You could even have premade slips with it already written down so you could be ninja-y about it, should you so desire. And then it would be up to them to call you back and so take charge!

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'd call it. Especially if you're into them. :wink:

I am the same way, I hate calling people and avoid even calling my bank, jobs I'm applying for, or even my extended family. But when I decide to call someone, especially if they are attractive or interested in me (as shown by his giving me his number) something goes in me and I feel much more confident and "on" if you will.

So channel his interest. Use it to build your confidence up enough to call him. Chances are he's just as shy, and by taking that leap he put himself out there, so think of it as your turn now. :slight_smile:

5. TheAMan

Well if you're interested in any of them, call them. They've already made it clear they have interest in you so it can't hurt.

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you into any of these guys? If so, I figure why not call them. Technically I think these guys made the first move which took guts. Where are you when they're giving their number to you? Before they gave their number, had you been checking eachother out or was it totally out of the blue? Good luck! :thumbsup:

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey if you dont want to call and its a mobile number then maybe you could send them a text, that then puts the ball back in their court.

8. speedracing22

I would just send them a text and say something like "hey...txting you so u have my #". Now it's on them lol.

9. Dalmatian

I completely understand the phone issue. I can easily and calmly improvize a lecture in front of relatively large groups of people, but I have to mentally prepare when calling, as someone mentioned, my bank. The way in which phone calls are informationally filled up, compressed, is somewhat unnerving I think. Anyway..

For them to give you their number either took lots of courage or they are well used to it. In both cases that means that you can be as open as you want with them. You can call and say something like "hey, you gave me your number, so I'm calling, but truthfully I have no idea what I'm doing". Or text them and tell them to call you if they are stil interested (although that one has 'insecure' written in bold all over it - not necessarily a bad thing though, I guess).

10. Zapha

Thanks for all the replies!

Sneaky :grin:

I guess I just gotta take a deep breath and send a text, mainly because I would feel so awkward calling a guy that I didn't really know that well :S It's nice to know that other people feel like me when they have to call someone! I guess if we want to get anywhere in life we just gotta get outta our comfort zones and take a risk.

11. Ianthe

Yeah, I totally understand about being afraid to call; I'm definitely that way myself.

But think of it this way: if you gave a guy your number, and he didn't call you, how would you feel about that, and what would you think it meant?

My point is, if you don't call, the guys will believe that you aren't interested. Bluntly, they will think you don't like them. This will make them feel bad. So, obviously, you should call them.