1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to feel bad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zaio, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC

Just a question which I'm really unsure how to answer.

Lately, nothing too bad has been happening, life has been alright, had fun playing games but I keep feeling really depressed, weak, tired, achey etc. I shouldn't feel this way, I'm not sure I can describe why, but it's like I'm TRYING to make myself feel bad, like I keep looking at the negative side of everything and just focus on the bad things throughout the day and let them build up.

Does anyone know of a psychological reason someone might do this to themselves? I can't stop... I don't know why but I just keep doing this, and it's completely destroying me inside :/ :help:

2. Peregrine

Have things been really bad before? Unfortunately, our minds have a way of "learning" a pattern of thinking and following it before we realize what's happening. If you've been depressed before, you know how it makes you look for the bad in everything and only ever see things getting worse. Think of it like erosion; negativity is rushing water, and the more often it flows, the more it cuts into the earth, leaving grooves behind, making it even easier for more negativity to flow down the same path.

The bad news is that because it's so familiar, it may keep happening for a while. The good news is that once you're aware of this, it loses some of its power. You can catch yourself and say "Ohh, I know what this is. Yeah, we're not going to listen to those thoughts right now." It's still frustrating, but just because you have negative thoughts doesn't mean they are reflective of who you are.

Of course, there may be specific things you're worried or unsure about in your life, and maybe this is your mind's way of telling you to examine them? Our minds don't always know the best way to tell us something's wrong, but looking for reasons to feel bad could be a sign that something is unresolved. Give yourself time to puzzle it out, don't feel bad about feeling bad, so to speak :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I hope that's helpful in some way.

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I'm pretty sure it's not a pattern, I have never gone for extended periods of time depressed, although I think sub-consciously I was avoiding something when I blew off my social life to play games for 2-3 years, but during this time I was never depressed, always happy playing games.

The only possible things I can think of are either:

A - I'm worried about the future, after finding out I no longer want to be a programmer, I'm unsure about my career path, however I think I'm going to try get good grades at IGCSEs, get good A-levels then try and get grants to go to university and study psychology, but still unsure of this.

B - I'm just so lonely. Never even kissed another guy before, I only know 1 bisexual, but he is like me, just plays games all day, only he is very socially awkward. I spend a lot of days just wishing I had someone to love, someone's hand to hold, someone to hug, someone to talk to when down, someone to make happy etc.

C - Well theres this thing I have done in the past, that I can't even say out loud when in the house on my own, so there's no way I can say it here, it's just so terrible.

I'm not sure if any of the above, or all of them are the reasons, might be something I'm unaware of but I need this to end because my grades in school are beginning to suffer now, I'm just depressed a lot lately... Well... Not so much depressed just really miserable all the time, not so depressed I can't do work, but miserably enough that I slack on it and just want to get everything done so I can just sit around, do nothing or sleep.

#3 Zaio, Apr 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2012
  4. BudderMC

I can almost guarantee you that you were depressed during that phase, and like you said, you were probably avoiding things (repressing feelings might be a better word). The big reason I say that with conviction is I did the EXACT same thing, just a few years later than you. What were you repressing? A good guess is probably sexuality stuff (as nearly all of us here can relate to), but beyond that, only you really know what in your life was going on. For me personally, it was a lot of alcoholism and strained marriage stuff. It's not something we can answer... but I'm sure most of us are willing to listen/discuss if you shared. :slight_smile:

And your last paragraph describes being depressed perfectly. It's easy for us to blow off/minimize our feelings and say we're not depressed when we see "depressed" people on TV being visibly miserable and suicidal and etc. etc. (the extremes of a depressed state), but the depression is still there. Again, I did the same thing; for the longest period I thought I wasn't really depressed, but in retrospect it was pretty bad. I wouldn't say the state you're in is necessarily bad (though it isn't necessarily good), but it is definitely something you should personally be aware of, so you can monitor yourself and take action if you feel you're feeling worse.

I don't know how much you think you can relate to what I said, but we've shared some similarities. If it helps, feel free to PM me or something; I'm all ears. Or, of course, just keep posting in the forums. :slight_smile:

5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Makes me feel a bit better to know someone else has gone through it.

Are you sure I was depressed during this period? The thing is cosnciously I was never depressed or upset about my sexuality back then, I just... Well tbh I never even considered I was gay till I stopped and then I just for some reason acted as if I was always gay, like skipping all phases of realisation of being gay.

It's really weird :dry:

6. BudderMC

Well, nobody can be sure, because none of us are you, and that period is already over. But, from what you described, it sounds like you had some bout of depression. Maybe not really severe depression, but depression. All this is in my best guess from the knowledge I have and my personal experiences.

You never considered it? I'm sure it's possible. Personally, I considered it once years before, and repressed it enough that I didn't think about it again until a couple years ago. I refused to think about it. I didn't actively go through all the stages of grief, I just had a solid 5ish year gap where I wasn't gay before, and was gay afterwards. There was a little bit of bargaining and hoping I wouldn't be gay towards the end, but I knew all along I was.

If I could guess, by taking all that time off of thinking about it I internalized it enough that it wasn't a cause of concern, it just was what it was. It only became an issue when I had to face it, because my inner feelings about my sexuality would have to be shown outwards (since I wanted to come out).

The other thing about the Internet (and particularly gaming) is that we're hidden behind a veil of anonymity. I've played well over my fair share of MMO's, with the same username (and pseudo identity) each time. I never really told anyone online, or even alluded to the fact that I liked guys, but the thing is I never reinforced the idea that I was straight. I was me, my username, and whatever I chose to make of it; whereas in the real world, I was always watching what I was saying and what I was doing (subconsciously, of course).

7. How would you rate your level of confidence? If your self-esteem is low, sometimes it can lead you to feel like you're not worthy of happiness, and that you deserve to feel bad.

Another thing is that, after being depressed for a long period, even if it's on and off, sometimes you just get used to feeling depressed. After being depressed for years, it seems to become a part of you. As crazy as it sounds, it can be like letting go a part of your identity. I've had this happen to me before.

Also, this. If you can't even say whatever it is that you've done aloud to yourself, obviously some repression is going on. Repression is a negative coping strategy. It may work for the short-term, but meanwhile, everything is building up inside, and speaking from experience, it will most likely lead to a complete breakdown. I'd suggest either trying to work it out by yourself (saying it aloud, maybe writing it anonymously on a forum like this, and acknowledging you made a mistake, but you can't change the past), or seeking a therapist if you can't do this alone. You need to forgive yourself for whatever this is, so that you can move on with your life, regardless of whether or not this is related to the problem in your original post.

8. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yeah my self esteem is pretty low.

As for the last bit no... I can never tell anyone about it... Ever. At least not until I get out of the house and have some money to repay what I will owe by the time my education is over. Otherwise I would get too judgmental looks, things will become fucked up. I'm already in too deep to get out now unfortunately :dry:

9. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

Get off the video games. Meet people. Go for a walk. Meet people. Get a part time job. Meet people. Join a gym or local swim team. Meet people.

I say this because World of Warcraft took 8 months of my life, and even has a light gamer 2-4 hours a day, I still felt like a total loser, watching the trolling text of people boasting in their accomplishments, raiding for 8 hours. Playing an entire weekend straight. Having the most epic, awesome gear in the world. "What the Hell am I doing online with 'these people'?"

You're 15 years old. You body is growing, so maybe you should nourish it with activity and adventure. Don't waste your life in front of a video game.

10. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I don't play WoW anymore, I quit after playing for 3 years. I'm not hooked on video games anymore, I much prefer to go out, I only play them when I got nothing else to do now, which is pretty much all the time.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sort of leaning towards guessing you're (clinically) depressed as well. I've been through two bouts, and I see a lot of similarities. The "looking on the bad side", for instance. And the "worry to the point of near-obsession about future jobs and life paths".

The thing is - there's no real test for depression. They don't draw blood and sendi to the lab, and come back nodding their heads - "yes, definitely depression". They might get for some large-scale imbalances, but other than that, they simply ask you some questions. And it's tough to decide if the depression is caused by external forces or not. You think it'd be easy. You know - "I'm depressed because I'm dealing with X and Y". But at another space and time, you might have Z on top of that and not feel depressed at all. Depression seems to want to find something to latch onto. Something that isn't quite perfect in our life, which we can obsess about...at which point, it seems like the cause. My last bout came at a time when everything was great in my life...so my brain was stuck obsessing about negative things that had nothing to do with me, really - war and people dying young and whatever.

If you haven't talked to a doctor, that's the first place. Maybe you might benefit from seeing a therapist, or perhaps not. Perhaps a mild anti-depressant would be a good idea, or perhaps not. But seeing your doctor is usually a good first step.

A few other things that might help.

Accept that this is not you. When you have a cold or broken arm, you are not the old or broken arm. These are things that are HAPPENING to you, but they are not you. Similarly, this depression, or funk, is not you. It's just something that's happening to you, and something you gotta deal with.

Stay active.. If you don't exercise, start. You don't have to join a gym or run a marathon. Walking outside for 15-30 minutes a day is fine to start. Jog the last minute or so to get your heart going a bit.

Get creative.. Most of us have a creative itch, so make sure yours gets scratched. Write. Draw. Design. Take pictures. Try stuff out.

Shake things up.. If you usually play Warcraft or Star Wars, try something utterly different - like a simple Tetris or hidden pictures game. Watch different kinds of v. If you usually watch action movies, try an old mystery. If you listen to rock music, give jazz or funk or classical a whirl. Read something different. Try new dishes at restaurants. Take a different way to school and back. Give your brain new input to process, so it has ess chance to obsess about things.

And as far as your eventual career goes, I'll just say for most people, I all works out. Usually in a way you weren't expecting. :slight_smile:

Lex