1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird after coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 7700, Apr 15, 2012.

1. 7700

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi,

I'm 19 years old and recently came out to my parents, they were both ok with it, my mom saying "she wont ever understand but she'll always love me", and my dad saying that he'd never be disappointed...

My mom also said she doesn't want me hanging around with lesbians that aren't "decent", so what does that even consist of?? My idea of decent and hers probably differ a lot.

Its really awkward though, at what point can I tell them that I have a girlfriend, and that they have met her?

And when would they start being "normal" again?

Thanks

2. BudderMC

Have you looked at the 5 stages of grief? They apply really well to the coming out process, both for ourselves and the people we come out to. You'll see them thrown out around here a lot, if you hang around :slight_smile:

Your parents (and mom in particular) are probably just dealing with this news. Think of how long it took you to come to terms with your sexuality - probably quite a while, right? Well, they've only had a few days to process all this. Being your parents, they probably also had dreams for how your life would pan out... and now all of that has to change.

I don't think her reaction was particularly bad. I'd say give it some time, she'll probably come around. On that note, it's probably best to hold off on the girlfriend bit too... like I said, give them some time for this to sink in. Things will start being normal again once they realize that despite this news, nothing really has to change. Just keep on being yourself and they'll realize that life is the same as it was before. :slight_smile:

And, welcome to EC!

3. 7700

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thanks so much for the reply! Makes sense:icon_bigg