1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm genderqueer

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Liz94, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Liz94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok so for a couple of years I have had confusion over my gender....

Some days I wake up feeling like a boy, others days feeling like a girl. I dress and act differently depending on what gender I wake up as.

It confused and distressed me alot....but then I did some research and was watching videos online when I came across genderqueer and after a week or so of researching, relfecting and thinking I have realised that I am genderqueer to be exact I am Gender-fluid.

Realising this has taken a huge weight off my shoulders. I am happy being biologically female and am happy with being gender-fluid

Thanks to the people on this site that helped me come to this conclusion :slight_smile:

If anyone thinks or knows they are genderqueer I would love to hear from you :icon_bigg

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I consider myself pangender. Depending on the day,I either male, female or both. It is really confusing sometimes, but I am starting to get used to it.

3. mischa91

Hey, i'm gender queer! Welcome and congrats on your realization.

This deserves a banana (!)

4. Curly

Hello!! Gender queer here too.

I dress like a boy, walk like a boy and I think I even think like a boy sometimes. As long as I keep my mouth shut (my voice is a dead giveaway), I can pass as a boy too. But, I identify as a female and I don't think I want to change that any time soon... maybe? ... not yet? .... never? ... who knows ... At least right now I am happy with just being, well ... queer

5. Liz94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks guys it is a lonely place, as the area I live in the LGBT etc scene is under the radar and even though I now know what I am I still feel daunted by it all, so to know there are people like me, that go through the same thoughts etc as me is comforting.

Another question... How did you or are you contemplating telling people? I think I am ready for my best friend and a few others including the girl I am in love with and I would be grateful for suggestions?

Thanks again :slight_smile: :hug:

6. Young Anonymous

I think I may be, but for me 4/5 days I'd say I wake up female. But there's still that every now and then I am sort-of male. I just don't really know yet.

But Gratz on your realization! Hope I find mine soon enough.

7. Harlequin

Genderqueer here, as well. I also fit the category of genderfluid, though I prefer not to use that label. However, though I'm biologically female, I use male pronouns and name most of the time, because that's the region of gender I'm roughly in most of the time.

I'm only out to four people, two of whom were already familiar with the category of genderqueer (one is genderqueer and the other is her girlfriend.) With the other two, they were familiar with "transgender" and "tomboy", so it was pretty simple to explain that there was a spectrum of gender with male and female at the ends and things like "tomboy" along the line. One of those people disapproves of homosexuality, etc. so I didn't go into detail, and I didn't ask to be called by my preferred pronouns/name, but the other three were very supportive and agreed to do so.

8. Liz94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came close to telling my best friend today, but I stopped myself. I am too scared, it was one thing to explain my sexuality, so to explain genderqueer to my friends which is something not even known to exist by my friends is daunting. Particually as it means exmapling how on my boy days I identify as straight and on my girl days lesbian. :/

9. Curly

(*hug*) It will get easier and you will do it when you feel ready.

I have only explained to my older brother and a close friend of mine about being genderqueer. With my friend, she didn't react negatively or anything, and was really trying to understand what it is and how I felt. But the whole time I was sort of explaining it and describing how I felt, I felt like I was basically telling her how much of a freak I am. (even though I know that isn't what she is thinking.)
    With my brother, I told him that I felt that I was genderqueer, and he said he didn't know what that was and searched it up on wikipedia. He replyed back to me saying "so basically your confused ... " :eusa_doh: I looked it up on wikipedia and no where on that page does the word confused come up.

Give it time. It isnt easy for people who have always looked at gender in terms of boy or girl, either or kind of situation.

10. Liz94

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have just come out to my best friend, she doesn't really understand it I don't think, but I told her I will answer any questions and will try and explain it more tommorow.

This is all rather emotional, but exciting at the same time.

11. mischa91

Congratulations!