1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really want to find a local support/discussion group for young adults coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jsmurf, Apr 16, 2012.

1. jsmurf

But can't in all of Seattle... :/

There seems to be such a group for those up to the age of 21, but not for 23 year olds.

My problem is that I mainly identify with people in my age group (18-27). There probably is a support/discussion group here for guys going through their midlife crisis, and leaving a train wreck of a failed marriage behind. That's not what I'm looking for specifically.

Why is this so hard to find in a seemingly progressive city?

And from my experience, people who have been out for a long period of time either disregard me, or view me as inferior because I somehow don't fit their category.

2. alwayshope11

Hey I'm 23 as well and jusnt started going through this..let me know if u want to talk

3. jsmurf

4. I'm scouring the internet for you trying to see what I can find.

5. jsmurf

Gee, I really appreciate that. :/

But it's my responsibility to do the search. Still waiting for an email reply from a non-profit group in this city.

6. jsmurf

Thanks. Yes. I know about them, but I suspect it too consists mainly of "insiders" and people who generally don't give a second thought to coming out and what it's like. But I guess it won't hurt to go to one of their meetings.

7. Ianthe

You can always start one yourself. Support groups and things like that only exist when someone organizes them.

Youth groups are often really run by adults on behalf of young people--I mean, the group itself may be peer led, but it's adults in their 30s-50's who maintain the existence of the group and make sure it meets regularly. But at around your age, that stops being appropriate.

Unfortunately, people your age continue to expect "someone else" to do the organizing. I mean, think about it--you want a group of people your age to meet with. But who do you think is going to put the group together? Would you expect it to be someone your own age, with no more experience than you have? And if not, why would anyone organize a group like that that they would be too old to be part of?

There is no magical "they" that will do it. If you want a group exclusively in your age range, it's going to have to be run by someone who is also in your age range--someone exactly like you.