1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice feminizing techniques.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Young Anonymous, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Young Anonymous

Hello, I've been trying to feminize my voice, but I just am having a hard time doing it. I always sound squeaky, or I just sound (no offence, just describing) like the stereotypical gay guy, not registerable as female. Does anybody know of any techniques that work? Or ways to practice? I've looked online but nothing was really helpful. Thanks.

2. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    All I know is for masculinizing, unfortunately :/ What I have been using, though, is sheer practice, especially since I listen to music quite often. I play around with the particular range I'm working in with each song to try to balance out the tone, and if the current singer is male (female, for you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) then I try to match the pitch and such and pay attention to as much detail as I can.

Not sure if it helps you, but that's all I can offer :3

3. DhammaGamer

The reason you sound like a gay man and not a girl is because you are more than likely relying on alterations to pitch instead of resonance.

I have developed a very good feminine voice in just a few months and pass 100% on the phone. The important thing first of all is constant practice, every single day at more than one time of the day in multiple settings.

Also, get something to record yourself with. The way you sound to yourself is significantly different than the way you sound to others. I was really insecure at first but once I heard the first recording of myself I was like "WOW!"

When you are practicing, start in falsetto. Go from the lowest pitch to the highest pitch while in falsetto, really strain it as high as possible. Then go back down to the absolute lowest falsetto pitch that you can manage without your voice cracking. Hold that note and slowly open your throat out of falsetto while maintaining the same resonance.

A good tip is to put one finger on the top of your voicebox and another on the bottom. As you leave the falsetto the bottom of the voicebox should vibrate but the top should not. This means you are only using the vocal cords you used when you were younger and not the expanded masculine vocal cords.

Practice maintaining that resonance and record yourself frequently. As your vocal cords strengthen it will be easier to fluctuate pitch, hold the resonance for longer periods of time, and to enter into the feminine voice from your masculine voice with greater ease.

Practice practice practice

It's important as well to listen to other girls in order to develop inflection, enunciation, pitch, and vocabulary.

4. Young Anonymous

I've been trying to do like you said, and I can go very high, and also very low. It's just that even if I CAN get high-pitched, it still doesn't register as feminine. As for the voice box thing, while this may be a stupid question, where is your voice box?

Also, I'll try doing songs and things, sounds like a good idea.

~ Also, does anyone know of any good videos and etc about this? I know there are professional instruction videos, but the best rated ones I've found were quite expensive. Anybody know of any that or free? Or maybe just links to videos? Would be appreciated.

5. Katelynn

The tsroadmap website (Vocal Feminization Index) has some links to some resources, as well as being a good place to start altogether for transitioning, so I hope this is helpful! (*hug*)

6. Young Anonymous

Thanks Kiersten!