1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda hurts a bit...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Trixxster, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Trixxster

I know my mom is accepting and I know she loves me, but... Well, just recently we were discussing whether I still look up stuff about questioning your sexuality. I said yes and said I ask for advice on EC, and explained what it was. Naturally she asked what you guys said, and i said 'they advised experimentation." Then she said "So they said to date a boy, exactly what we said."

those were her words and while I can understand why she would say something like that and why she would like, well the tone she used, kind of hurt. It kind of felt like she was mad that I didn't realize that dating a boy to find out would be great and I don't feel like she really understands how hard it is questioning your sexuality and not knowing. I'm going to talk to her about (she got a phone call she had to take just right after, so I didn't chance to say anything.)

How do I get her to understand that I don't know and probably won't for a long time and that I'm going to look it up and talk to you and question and agonize for a long time?

2. Curly

Yea thats kinda hard. I felt hurt too when one of my friends asked if I'd ever been with a guy and when I said yea, she responded with, "so you do know you don't want to be with a guy and you are gay". It basically amounts to the same thing, the "how do you know if your gay if you've never been with a guy". I'm totally not saying that you shouldn't experiment and date a guy because you shouldn't box yourself in, but I don't believe that it is totally necessary in order to know your gay.

I think part of the reason your parents say that is that they are still hoping that it is some sort of phase with questioning and that you could maybe perhaps find some interest in guys.

In terms of explaining to your parents, tell her what you just told us. Tell her that questioning is difficult and it takes time to figure it out. Assure her that if anything changes or to just talk about it, you are gonna go to her.

I hope everything works out. Good luck(*hug*)

3. Trixxster

It turns out it was a misunderstanding and my mom meant she wanted me to not worry about what I am and to let the chips fall where they may in terms of sexuality.