1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian Stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Custard, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Custard

I was walking home from school today and I'm not sure why or how this popped up right then, but I started thinking about lesbian stereotypes. I realized I fit a LOT of them. Such as:

Wears flannel
    Does the 'gay smirk'
    Wears pants & or sweats, never wears dresses
    Moderately deep voice
    Charismatic (I wink a lot, smile, and have gotten more confident in expressing myself)
    Gay lisp (Not ALL the time, but were talking about 85% of the time, all but when I talk to teachers or adults)
    'Gay hands' & gestures (Lots of hand gestures and happy expressions)
    More guy friends then girl friends (My bros♥)
    Very flamboyant (So, SO very flamboyant XD)
    Favorite car is a red Mini Cooper -drool- (Apparently, I was reading a post somewhere and these things are in the top 10 "lesbian cars")

My question is, do you do the typical LGBT stereotypes? And, if you were to go to school with me, do you think your gaydar would be beeping at me? Honestly, I'm not sure why people can't tell right now. I'm not doing these things to get people to notice me or figure out who I am, I just do them because it's me and it makes me happy. But you know, I'm really surprised no one has taken the hint. :slight_smile:

2. fireworks

fireworks Guest

I dont fit any of the lesbian stereotypes at all, (except having guy friends, my guy friends are awesome) but I think, if you want to be obvious, then you should do stuff like, wear rainbow wristbands, stick gay pride flags onto your pencilcase, that kind of stuff. At our age, people don't exactly pay a huge lot of attention to little things like the 'gay smirk'. I would say, you can't get any clearer than rainbows and shiz :grin:

3. Custard

Ahaaa. Wonderful, thanks for the idea! :slight_smile: I probably won't get one of those till I come out to my family though, otherwise my mom would give me a weird look if I said, "Hey mom, can I get this rainbow pride bracelet?" Haha. Ty, again. Love it.♥

4. Sayu

Definitely:
    - short hair
    - shirts all the way!!!
    - I wear one of those military-look-like-cap all the time
    - boyish behaviour (swearing, showing rude gestures xD)
    - charismatic and very chatty
    - boyish hobbies - tree climbing, fighting with boys (mainly my cousins :grin:)
    - guy friends, yeah, most of them, though my bf is a girl :slight_smile:

5. Hot Pink

What's a gay smirk?

6. Custard

[​IMG]

I was watching youtube videos and saw one on lesbian stereotypes, clicked it, and apparently the gay smirk is a quite popular one. I was like: Wuuuuhhhh? :confused:'

7. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Yeah I fit allot of them,

Floppy-ish hands,
    Gay sounding voice,
    Really nice clothing,
    Likes to decorate,
    Bad at sports,
    Hates to get dirty,
    A ton of hair and body products,
    ect.

And honestly, my gaydar is really good, and I would probably know :slight_smile:

8. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fit quite a bit of them.

-Flannels all the way
    -Gay smirk
    -Lots of guy friends
    -HATES dresses, jeans all the way<3
    -HATES wearing makeup
    -Boyish hobbies
    -Boyish personality
    -Charismatic
    -Flamboyant
    -Obsessed with video games
    -Obsessed with technical stuff
    -Hates gossipping

Some of the things that make me seem stereotypically straight though:
    -Long hair
    -Loves shopping
    -Loves having sleepovers
    -High voice
    -Some of my best friends are girls
    ...that's about it, lol.

9. Curly

omg ... gay smirk :lol:. I didn't even know what that was and I totally sport one all the time.

- short hair
    - the "walk"
    - jeans + tshirts are my staple (button down shirts for work)
    - love sports (I do a fighting kind of sport)
    - pretty darn flamboyant
    - hand gestures?? I didnt know that was a sterotype. If it is I for sure got it. I probably couldn't hold a drink level when I talk.

But,
    - more girl friends than guy friends

10. julia

I think the only stereotype I fit is I'm a bit of a feminist.
    But I have long hair, I like makeup and dresses, I have more girl friends than guys friends, I don't like to get dirty, I don't like sports, etc...

11. pancake111

I fit a lot of them too
    1. I wear shirts all the time
    2. Most of my friends are guys
    3. I hate makeup
    4. I love sports
    5. I love videogames
    6. I sort of have a boyish personality, but I have my girlish moments
    7. i have a deepish voice for a girl ( and it kinda irritates me)

this isn't a sterotype, but I can't understand for the life of me why girls always seem to travel in packs. for example, they always want someone to go into the bathroom with them. I just don't get it.

12. Phoenix91

LOL I had no idea about the gay smirk.... I do it sometimes without even knowing it. Comes natural I guess. I don't know if I'm the stereotypical lesbian lets see :

1. T-shirt and jeans kinda gal
    2. Don't enjoy heavy makeup and dresses but will put them on if the occasion calls for it. But I tend to avoid attending those.
    3. feminist --- I'm not the crazy fanatic femenist who hate all men.
    4. Love wearing leather jackets and motorcycle boots
    5. My pants are tightly- loose ( if that is even a word) meaning I don't sag to the point you see boxers but my jeans aren't like a second skin on me.
    6. I dont wear flannel
    7. I did crop my hair short but now it's grown to collar length ( planning on getting haircut).
    8. Love playing sports, having rowdy moments, doing tomboyish stuff. Don't mind getting dirty and sweaty.
    9. I have both guy and gal friends.

Lol I feel like I'm obvious that I am a lesbian but none of my friends have ever asked
    me.:grin:

13. secretguyX

I have two tones of voices (I talk naturally high or low), but I guess more often I talk low. I rarely wear makeup. I play softball. And I wear skinny jeans, if that counts... But besides that, I think I seem pretty straight, since I'm pretty girly otherwise. None of it would really set people off about me being bisexual. Not that I care, but that's just how I am.

14. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Minis are lesbian? Hey, maybe my military sister isn't straight after all :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. suninthesky

What is it like for a girl to be flamboyant? And what is the "walk?"

And this might not be an answerable question, but why do so many of us happen to fit the stereotypes, when we're just being what feels like normal to us, even when some of us don't know/hang around any other LGBT people to learn habits from?

16. waitingfordawn

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm your typical girly-girl who passes as a straight girl, easily. I do the smirk, uhh, sometimes and I have super short nails and absurd confidence (or vanity, perhaps) but that's about it. I'm also an outspoken feminist, and I champion the stereotype of a man-hating feminist (I don't see anything wrong with hating on straight white men, really. It's a valid expression of my frustration at white, masculine heteropatriarchy. :slight_smile:)

17. Phoenix91

Those are actually very good questions. I'm not sure about lesbians being flamboyant since in my mind some gay males are usually flamboyant and the very femme women are just themselves. I'm not flamboyant I mean we all have our moments of girliness but I'm not sure about flamboyant lesbians.

The "walk" I have heard about that one. I have heard its the way lesbian women usually carry themselves. There's an air of confidence and independence. Head held high, with a certain swagger. Also they are not afraid to make direct eye contact with women. I could be way off on this but this is a mixture of what I think and have heard.

18. fireworks

fireworks Guest

I guess I'm what you'd call a 'femme' lesbian-
    -never leave house without makeup, and im only 13:slight_smile:
    -adore skirts and dresses and pink and perfume and jewellery and shoes and other pretty things
    -long hair
    -generally quite girly I guess
    etc.

Yeah, my voice is a lil bit deeper than the average girl but only slightly, and yeah, I have a tonne of guy friends, but noone can tell that I'm gay. Superr annoying):

19. Phoenix91

I'm curious about this. Is it really hate or just extreme dislike? What does this level of feminism entail? Also does this mean you do not have male friends? And why only white straight men, since there are more?

Sorry I know that's a lot of questions :eusa_doh: I just want to understand.

20. fireworks

fireworks Guest

a lot of it is to do with hormones- you'd be surprised :slight_smile:
    the slight masculinity you tend to see is due to higher than usual levels of testosterone, i believe.. which also correlates with homosexuality in females