1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think too much!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kyle 1, Apr 18, 2012.

1. kyle 1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So i've been having a really big dilemma for quite a while now..... I just think too much. Instead of following my feelings I always have a "what if.." in the back of my mind and too many doubts!! and it's not just a few things here and there, it's everything!! and it's gotten so out of hand that I am constantly stressed.

I've been really down in the dumps lately At first I thought it was depression, then social anxiety (I have some, but not too much...), then I thought I might have ADD (unable to concentrate, but it was much more than that), then I realized I have simply been VERY stressed out for the past few months. And then I asked myself, "wtf am I stressing out over??" then I realized I just think wayy too much! :bang:

But yeah like I said... it's not an emotional thinking, but a constant worry, like I have to get things done in 5 minutes or not at all, and I feel like I've always got the pedal to the medal, walk fast everywhere, drive 20mph over the speedlimit all the time because I feel like I will be late (which is never true), yada yada yada...

Anyways if you have made it this far, have you gone through this? Felt like this at all? It doesn't happen to me once every now and then but 95% of the time. Just coming to a realization of it has toned it down a bit, but I want to reign it in even more...

Any suggestions on how to deal with this/what might be causing this would be great!! :thumbsup:

2. julia

Ah, I know exactly what you mean. I over-think literally everything.
    Sometimes when I get too stressed (usually over nothing) I think about what actually I'm stressed over. This may contradict the over-thinking part. But actually thinking about thinking may help.
    When you feel stressed try just sitting down and take a feel deep breaths.
    I realize I'm not much help since I'm in the same situation :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Here is a site that could help you. <3

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I have been through what you are talking about, and I hope I can give you some insight as to why this is happening.

We are creatures of connection, bio-neurologically thats how we are set up, it is why we interact, and how we find completeness. However, we all posses a feeling which is unraveling to connection called shame. We all have it, and the only people who dont experience it hold no capacity for human emotion at all. It (shame) also plays an interesting roll to connection. It is the constant feeling of not being "enough" (Smart enough, attractive enough, skinny enough, tall enough, straight enough, ect). Shame also wears many faces, anger, hate, resentment, addiction, ignorance, ect, and often comes with two separate responses: You're not good enough and if you are able to trudge past that feeling then it is Who do you think you are?

Shame is also interesting is that the less we talk about it, the more we seem to possess, and inherently the more we talk about it, the less we seem to possess. Which indicates being vulnerable, and being able to talk about the things that make us shameful. however I will tell you one other thing about shame: People whom experience shame who have nobody they can be vulnerable to, often have one thing in common: they "numb" themselves. They try to take shame, and sadness, anger, addiction, ignorance and all the other bad stuff and say "I dont want to feel this", however not realizing that they also numb love, joy, creativity, happiness, and everything good as well.

Often, from what I myself have experienced, things will get worse before they get better. So to bring this to a conclusion, perhaps now you should be asking a question that is intended for one person only, How can I love myself? Because truly, you cannot love others whole heartedly, and feel true happiness without first having the ability to love and accept yourself, and take the things that you see as imperfections and burdens and see them as gifts.

With love,

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2012 at 01:12 PM ----------

I also researching Brene Brown, she has a few books based on connection, and shame based research, and how it effects our lives. And also Debbie Fords book, "The Gifts of Imperfection"

4. alwayshope11

I know how you feel... when I was younger, I was diagnosed with OCD, so my thoughts constantly run wild...and it doesn't help me in my journey to figuring out my sexuality. Seeing a therapist helps... but just sitting and breathing helps a lot...or watching a tv show or movie to get your mind off of it... just telling yourself to "change the channel" in your mind and think of something else. WE WILL GET BETTER!

5. kyle 1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tyler, this post applies to me completely. It's like you can read my mind. I do believe a large part of my inability to love others has to do with the "I don't want to feel this" (me not accepting myself as gay), which in turn made me a very antisocial, uncaring person. I had crushes on plenty of guys and some of my friends, but bottled it up so tightly and the " I don't want to feel this" thing kicked in leading to my numbness. The numbness and carelessness applied to everyone but my computer/videogames, lol.

Also a large part of it could do with my brother! I mean when I was younger he always put me down for anything I loved. Music, video games, movies, who to love, etc etc. Which made me feel ashamed for who I was. And as someone I looked up to, it devastated me. I've complained about him before on here but my thought process was so .... clouded, that I could not properly express what I was feeling. :confused:

Also the numbness I've gotten used to. I actually thought at one point I had an antisocial personality disorder, but it's not like I always felt that way. Just.... I guess.... in the past few years? Idk. Confusing times, confusing times.....

Thanks for this post, helps me a lot !! (*hug*)

One more question Tyler... are you really 18? You look like you are in your early-mid twenties !! :wink:

6. Dalmatian

And he writes as though he were much older. Loved the post, TyRawr.

7. Vesper

I've been feeling much the same way. I've been trying to find a job and pass my certification exam for something like the past 9 or 10 months, but I've been caught in this vicious cycle in which stressing out leads to procrastination leads to failure leads to more stressing out...etc. Every time I do something or go somewhere, I'm dual-minded--i.e. I want to do this/be here because it takes my mind off studying, but I don't want to do this/be here because I should be at home studying. So, much like you, I'm in a constant state of near-panic that's driving me bananas.

I also like what TyRawr wrote, and don't have much to add except that I completely agree. Do not practice self-pity. Embrace your imperfections as a part of who you are; don't let others define you by your imperfections, and don't let others make you feel that your imperfections alone define you.

#7 Vesper, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  8. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I totally messed up the book reference, haha, Its Brene Brown's book " The Gifts of Imperfection," and Debbie Ford's book "The Dark Side of The Light Chasers."

And I am glad I could help you. I had a very difficult upbringing, and as a result had to grow up very quickly. Most people cant believe that I am 18, but yes, I am :slight_smile:

Sending love,

9. sguyc

Ugh I feel like this applies to me. I feel like I can't get close to anyone. I feel fairly numb. So many things are going right in my life and yet I feel like everyone else is enjoying their lives more than me. Most of the time I am just inside my own head thinking about things that I wish I could talk to people about but I never do. The problem is that I really don't feel anything is wrong with me except my interactions with others. I can't connect with people because I am ashamed that I can't connect with people. I have some close friends who I enjoy being with but I feel like the inferior member of the relationship. I look at those relationships that were built when I was younger and say to myself as an adult that I probably couldn't make friends with them now if I had to. This is the kind of shit I wish I could talk about, but honestly no won wants to listen to such an abstract despressing thought process in real life. I might check out those books.

10. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I always over think things.

Whats particularly funny is that I am more concerned about things I say on the Internet now, than when I was a teenager. Simply because I have seen the power of words, and would hate to think that something I've said out of anger has hurt someone I may never meet. Once my venting is over, its out there, it isn't coming back, and whatever happens is out of my control.

Sometimes I even hold onto things people have said to me, and after over thinking it, it makes me chuckle to think that I even care in the slightest about an online interaction, good or bad, because as it goes, its just words on the Internet.

Similarly are my feelings with friends. I over think my jests, my compliments, and my complaints when I express them, as I do not wish to give off the wrong energy, or leave a bad impression with someone.

I know that I have anger issues as per a long history of crappy people who I've let go, and some I am in the process of ejecting from my life. Yeah, we all over think things.

#10 ArcherySet, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012