1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Feelings

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by imdatguy, Apr 19, 2012.

1. imdatguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a freshman in high school and have been pretty sure i was gay for sometime now so... last night before bed i said good night to my mom and hugged her then i said mom I'm gay she said what and i said I'm gay! the room went silent and i kept hugging her she then said well how ddo you know and i said i just do. we sat on my bed and she started questioning me i was going to freak out but i stayed calm and just mumbled some awnsers since then i feel akward around her and on my way to school she gave me "the talk" :dry: i acted dumb lol and even though she accepted me i think that even though she was trying to comfort me she used the wrong words and now i kind of feel unsure of my sexuality like I'm 99.9 percent gay but a little uncertain and i sure its not a phase because i have had crushes on guys in the past before this

2. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Same thing happened to me with my dad. Don't worry about it, I think it's just best to sit her down and say, "Mom, I am definitely gay." At the moment she is a little confused, a little unsure. It must have come as a shock, so you just need to give her a little time to adjust. She may believe that it is just a phase, like many parents do, in which case you should definitely speak to her, make her understand. Downloading info off the internet for her can be helpful too.
    Hope that helps xx

3. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's pretty amazing that you could tell your mom!! I think you might just be feeling a tiny bit unsure right now because you're nervous that you came out to someone, if that makes sense. And you say you're 99.9% sure, and that's it's not a phase so...I would attribute your unsureness to the fact that coming out is an emotional process where your thoughts could get a little mixed up- but everything will settle down pretty soon once you get used to her knowing, I'm sure!

4. NickD

I can really relate, don't worry. After I came out, my mom, dad and brother all asked the "are you sure?" question, which of course got me questioning myself again. But after explaining it like this, they got it: for every 1 woman I see in a week that I can say is pretty, there are about 40 guys that I found absolutely gorgeous. I think explaining both to them and myself in this way really solidified my conviction. That and remember you have had way more time to sit with these feelings than they have, so it may be best to give them space. Keep your chin up though, you have nowhere to go but up!

5. imdatguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Today she sent me a message asking how my day was going and that shell love me no matter what :slight_smile: i guess she's ok with it. But how would i tell my dad ...

6. imdatguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ok ok ok she came in my room again and we talked about it. She went over the intimacy part again and started talking about diseases. Im starting to get the feeing that she wants me to be straight because she mentioned it again that she docent think that I'm gay and that its just my hormones she asked me how i could be shure and i just said i just am. Im so scared and stressed :frowning2:

7. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmmm....like fireworks said, I'd give her some time to get used to the idea. She's probably scared and stressed like you are, especially since it sounds like she didn't see it coming. If she was talking to you about diseases, then it means she's taking you pretty seriously, which is good! And even if she says she doesn't think you're gay, just be firm in saying that you're totally sure. Stay confident! At least she isn't saying terrible things to you outright.