1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please define gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rx79g, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rx79g

I've heard so many different definitions of gay I don't know whether I am or not, or who else is fo that matter. I've heard everything from "gay is liking guys more than girls" to "gay is having absolutely no attraction to women in any sexual or romantic way". I've heard people say things along the lines of being gay means the thought of sex with a girl is sickening, or at the very least causes an instant loss of erection. Do all gay guys hate/ get sick at the thought of having sex with a girl? How predominantly gay does someone have to be before they are gay and not bi? Is bi < gay or is it like bi < 3/4 gay < gay and that 3/4 is the cutoff? I realize it's not that black and white but I guess what I'm asking is does the capacity to be aroused by a woman, if uncommon, make someone bi or are they just gay with occasional heterosexual attractions?

2. BudderMC

To answer your question, to be "gay" means you like guys, and usually predominantly more than women. To like them equally would imply being "bi".

For a better answer, I say this: Gay is whatever the hell you define it as. It's just a label. If you're comfortable with calling yourself gay, then do it. Otherwise, you can just say "I kinda like guys" or "I like mostly guys" or whatever floats your boat.

For the best answer, I say to not worry about labels at all. Sexuality is fluid anyway (as you seem to already know).

3. TheAMan

The best answer I can give you is liking guys and not being attracted to women sexually or emotionally.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

To me being gay is being attracted to men sexually, but not women. Since sexual orientation is to do with who you are sexually attracted to, I do not see where emotional attraction comes into play when defining ones orientation.

All the best.

5. JillandJill

In myyy humble opinion, being gay is having emotional and physical feelings for members of the same sex only. If you still have feelings for members of the opposite sex, you are bi, no? Because logically if you have feelings for both genders, you are bisexual. If you have feelings for your own gender only, you are gay.

6. Ridiculous

I'm gay. However there are very rare cases where I'll be attracted to a girl - I can name one, and even then that is an actress playing a fictional role. Does this mean I am bi, because I hold some slight attraction to some women? I suppose it technically does... but in practice, I'm never going to get into a relationship with a girl and even if I somehow did, I would be far happier with a guy. Therefore I am gay, because that is the kind of relationship I want to be in.

Labels are used for telling other people about yourself, so if you are in this sort of dilemma it may be a good idea to label yourself according to what relationship you want. Call yourself gay if you want a relationship with a man; bi if you would go with either.

The word "gay" typically means both sexual and romantic orientation to the same sex. If you are just referring to the sexual aspect then you would use the word "homosexual", not gay.

7. sanguine

yea i agree with this, ive always thought of gay deriving from the word homosexual, if anything gay was used as a euphemism for homosexual anyways, i read somewhere that the term gay poped up around the 1950's or something

so dont take this the wrong way, but i dont see how you can be gay and still be interested in women, emotions are in another category all together.

8. Mogget

"Gay," "bi," and "straight" are artificial labels that attempt to fit the full range of gender attraction into three areas. There's no agreement on where to draw the lines between them. Each refers to an ideal state that is very rarely reached.

9. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Sexuality is a spectrum that we all fall under. When we are able to discover ourselves we often find our place among that spectrum. Often what you find is that when you learn more about yourself you fall more on one side of the spectrum than the other.

Society on the other hand is reliant on labels. We, being idealistic and information based creatures, assign a label to everything the moment we see it, especially with people. When we see someone some of the first thoughts that go through our head before we can even know we are having them are "big, skinny, black, white, gay, straight, ect." Therefore it is ok to have labels, but dont take them to seriously.

Calling yourself gay is just a simple way of stating your place among that spectrum in a way that is easily understood without very much explanation (in my opinion).