1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom not handling well...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Blkrsn, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Blkrsn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, its out that I am trans now...

Ok, I told you all that I told my family that I am trans, and seeing a doctor about transitioning. Well, apparently they did not believe me. So when I changed my name on facebook, there was a huge backlash.

For the first week after I started Hormone Replacement, I did not talk to my Dad, but I finally cornered him down after he got off work, and the two of us talked. He said he accepts me, and that he is here for me...

...this is the guy I was so terrified to tell him I was attracted to women. He is the one taking it the best. After that talk, he immediately made me go home and 'change a tire'. Since then, he has called me over on many occasions to do 'mens work' around the yard. My Dad is under the idea that 'woman do the house work, men do the yard work', so he had me outside building fences, and taking apart furniture, and everything. The only thing he seems uncomfortable with, is talking about it.

Its my Mom that is not handling well...

I can tell when she talks to me, she says 'its all happening to fast', and she got drunk when I went over on Easter for dinner, and said 'her daughter is dead' and that my dad needs to get a tattoo with my death day. But She said she is trying as hard as she can to accept me. She is now accusing me of becoming 'distant' and 'cutting her off', which I am not. It hurts me that she thinks that... I tried going over to there house more often after that, but it was awkward. My Mom can't handle it...

I rarely - if ever - talk to my sisters at all anymore.

Work is another story all together. All the guys I work with are cool with it... the woman are not.

The woman I work with are really upset about it, and are keeping their distance from me - a lot of them have become moody towards me.

I'm glad the guys are just accepting it... but how do I get the woman to do that too? I want my Mom to accept me again...

My Dad started calling me his son, and so did my Mom, they mess up on my name sometimes, but I am ok with it, that will take time...

I just want to know how long it will take for my Mom to accept this. While she was drunk, she said some things that have been eating away at me since. She said this is really hurting her, and that she doesn't know who I am anymore, and that 'I will always be her little girl, no matter what'. I kept a brave face the entire time. I am stupid that way. In person, I hate showing my emotions and keep a stoic face most of the time. I kept that 'pokerface' right through the conversation, and answered any questions she had...

How do I convince her that I am still me? That I am not magically some other person now? With some friends, I kept my distance till it sunk in, with work, I took a week vacation to let it sink in... but I don't think keeping my distance will work here, not when she thinks I'm 'avoiding her and cutting her off'. I just don't know what to do...:bang:

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't really force people to understand what you're going through. I think it would be a good idea to point her to a legitimate medical site outlining the details of Transsexualism so that she would be more in touch with it.

The fact that your dad is accepting it so well is amazing. I think the reason for your mom and all the girls at your work being uncomfortable with it is that they see you as leaving their team and joining the other.

To show them you aren't any different than you were before you came out they need to realize that you have always been a boy. There are people that can not accept that because of their views; fortunately with work people's views can be changed so you're going to have to show them what it really means to be transgender.

Just be yourself around everyone, if they ask about it tell them that you don't have to pretend anymore and that you can finally be who you have always been anyway.

It all centers around people believing that you are changing your gender. When in reality all you're doing is proving who you were to begin with. They don't get it because they've never been through it.

You've done very well, gone further than I have. I'm sure with time everyone will understand. Just have to be patient :3