1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relaxing...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lewnatic, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Lewnatic

...I have a problem. The only time I can relax about my sexuality and general life anxieties is when I'm having a drink, whether that be with friends or just a casual night in at home with family. I'm not drinking alone, and I'm not drinking accessively. Just after a few beers I feel...free. I feel like I want to get out there, date guys, move out from home etc.

Is this normal?
    Is it wrong for me to think this way? Is it just the alcohol talking?

2. BudderMC

That's what alcohol does; it's a chemical relaxant of sort.

If you're not drinking excessively, it probably isn't terrible. But the mentality of "I can only relax when I'm drinking" is a very very bad one. Even if nothing bad has come of it yet, I'd advise you to start looking into other ways of relaxing. Having the association between alcohol and relaxation in your mind will inevitably lead you to drink to excess if something terrible were to happen in your life (i.e. a tragedy). And that is what we call alcoholism.

Honestly, if you're concerned about it, that's a good thing. So long as you're monitoring your behaviour, you're probably okay. Drinking in moderation isn't a bad thing either. :slight_smile:

3. Dalmatian

Alcohol frees you of some inhibition and then you act more freely. That's normal. I had to institute a personal rule prohibiting some potentially problematic behaviour just to be sure :grin:

4. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A friend taught me to lose my inhibitions without drinking.
    1 Put yourself in a safe place.
    2 Let go of your pride. Laugh at yourself.
    3 Let go of your fear. You're in a safe place.
    4 Allow yourself all your feelings, without shame. They are not wrong. They are yours.

It takes a lot of nerve, but almost anyone can do it. It lasts as long as you want, and you don't end up with a hangover. Try it.