1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoul I come out to my parents now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sayu, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Sayu

I was thinking about coming out to my parents. I think maybe they already suspect anyway...

So since my parents are divorced, I would come out to them separately. I love them both very much and have an amazing relationship with both of them :slight_smile:

My mum: I guess she will be pretty accepting, I wrote about her opinions on gay people here.

My dad: My dad is very open-minded and I have even let him read my slash story. His reaction after he read it was: "Hmm, why did you choose this topic?" "Why do you ask? Is it a problem?" "No, no, of course, we don't have any problems with them (he meant gays)." Though he often calls gay people 'fags' etc., I am sure he is not homofobic at all.

It seems like an ideal situation, doesn't it? The problem is, I am still questioning. :rolle: I've been questioning for a few years now and I have no idea when I will be sure :icon_redf So I am not sure whether I should come out at this stage or not :icon_sad: Though I really want to.

2. SkyDiver

How about you just tell them that you're questioning? It sounds like they're both fantastic parents and that they'll love you no matter what's going on.

Later on, if you find out that you are gay, just tell them that you've figured it out and it won't be a big deal. If you find out that you're not, again, tell them and it should be perfectly fine.

Seems to me like this a step that's worth taking. :slight_smile:

3. Vesper

I agree with SkyDiver. You should tell your parents that you're still questioning your sexuality; I'm sure they'll accept that you're still finding it out for yourself, and give you time and space to figure things out. There's no rule that states that you can only come out when you're certain.

4. Sayu

And would you wait till they asked?

My dad sometimes asks, rarely, but he does, whether I have a boyfriend.
    My mum's boyfriend asks more often, he knows it annoys me and likes to do it.

I can't really imagine myself just saying "Umm, mum/dad, I need to tell you something..."

5. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wouldn't wait until they ask directly. That might be a very long wait. You can wait until some related topic comes up in conversation, if that helps you.