1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low income counseling

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nintenfreak92, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Nintenfreak92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Last year I was seeing a counselor at my university regularly, but sadly I had to stop because I flunked out due to various emotional and psychological distresses... And I haven't truly felt like I would need to return to any sort of counseling/therapy thing for a while, but recently a ton of things have all caused me to stress out, become completely depressed, and have random anxiety attacks, and I have decided to return to therapy. The only glaring problem, I have recently lost my job so I have next to no disposable income for something like this... Also I don't know that I would be able to do something long term because within the next month I am planning to move to another state (need a fresh start). But I definitely feel like this is something I cannot wait for, I have frequent sleepless nights and have practically stopped eating... If anyone knows of any resources that provide cheap counseling services that would be great.

2. sanguine

maybe chatting with some of the EC staff may help? i wouldnt know any counselling place but i think its good to talk to anyone that cares, alot of people here care :slight_smile:

3. Caoimhe Fayre

hmm I don't know about in the US, but I got counseling covered by the United Way and the rest of it covered by St Vincent De Paul so that I could go, and now I have a psychologist that is covered by OHIP because my doctor recommended it.

are there any charities, or (preferably LGBTQ positive) religious groups in your area that might be able to offer assistance?

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One suggestion is to contact the local social work or psychology program at a college or university near you. Often, there are graduate student interns who are in need of clients and some of them can be very good, and very cheap or even free.

5. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can also maybe look for a state run programme that offers counselling and psychology for free. Look up on the internet for any of these kind of free services in the area closest to you. Hang in there tough guy, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

6. TraceElement

I second what chip said. Also, some psychologists have a sliding fee, which allows you to pay what you can.