1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be 'officially' out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by snowflurry, Apr 23, 2012.

1. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey all,
    Currently I'm only out to a close group of friends (7 people)- and I was wondering, how exactly do I go about being fully and completely out? At this point I feel comfortable being out at my school, but I'm not really sure I know how to do it. The subject never really comes up, ever (like not even with my friends- it's kind of like, we had the conversation once and no one ever talks about it or brings it up)...Should I just tell people one at a time (which would take a while)? Is there something I can do so that I can just have everybody know without having to go through the hassle of having the conversation a thousand times over with individual people? If any of that makes any sense?
    Thanks for any advice!

2. Curly

I've heard people using facebook and some sort of social networking thing, but I personally wouldn't really like that myself. I think it might be hard to know who has seen it and who hasn't.

Maybe you could tell the important people you want to know personally. I think they will appreciate it. And perhaps sport some sort of rainbow/gay jewellery?

3. October

Well, the obvious way is to just date someone. I'm in a similar situation. The way I see it is if anyone asks then I will tell them but until then I'm kind of letting the rumors that I'm gay work themselves out. Don't be like "Hi Susie. My favorite color is purple, I am 16, and I'm gay. Nice to see you today." That's not necessary haha

4. thereshewas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    after i told the most important people, i changed my "interested in" on facebook and considered myself completely out. that probably wouldn't work out well if you're not out to family, but i mostly rely on that when i meet new people... if they assume that i'm straight, it's on them.

if anything ever even remotely comes up with friends - talking about cute actors, crushes, the future - just drop it in the conversation. for the most part i tried to avoid having the awkward, sit-down, one-on-one conversations, but it's totally up to you, of course... gossip is also remarkably helpful in spreading the word. good luck, and let us know how it goes!

5. Mad Man L

It snowballs. If it comes up, just tell people. Drop in hints in conversation, and just let it go from there. But don't let not being 'out' stop you from living an 'out' life.

6. Ianthe

The easiest way is to just act as if everyone already knows, like it's common knowledge.

This does result in you not being sure who knows and who doesn't--but if your goal is for everyone to know, that isn't that big of a concern.

Alternatively, you could tell the most gossipy person you know.

But being out isn't really about making sure everyone knows--it's just about living your life openly and honestly. So, when it comes up, you don't avoid saying things that might reveal it.

7. dano22

dano22 Guest

I started the process on facebook by only showing my interested in to people who know i am gay. I have some family on there who might not be accepting so I have to wait to be fully out on there. When it comes to random people from my high school graduation class I really don't care about them.

8. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Let people know that you're happy about being gay, and being out. That way they know it's okay to tell other people. If your friends aren't telling other friends, it could be because they consider it a secret, or don't want to gossip about you too much.
    Anyway, you don't have to be out to 7 billion people. The point is to be open with the particular person you're attracted to.

9. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you guys for all the advice!! Yeah, at the moment because of family I can't really put it publicly on facebook- but I'll rely on the snowball method and take it from there. Although Farouche, I do totally agree that it's mostly just important that the people who matter know, rather than the whole world! Haha

10. NickD

I've been struggling with this question too, and the advice here is really fantastic. My mom even asked me a similar question, she was wondering what to tell family and friends if dating comes up in conversation and I just said the truth. Everyone who I really care about already knows amd the rest is just icing on the rainbow cake...