1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling an Online Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lewis, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Lewis

As easy as it sounds (considering I don't actually physically know the person), it still seems as difficult as telling one of my close friends. I've known this girl online for 3-4 years now via an online game, we now chat on facebook, skype etc.

Two years ago when I was really struggling with my sexuality, I told her that I was bisexual, even though I'm not (because it seemed easier and I was still pretty unsure). The mistake I made was telling her that it was a joke a few weeks later, because I panicked (even though we don't actually know each other) that somehow it could come out on FB. It just scared me so much at the thought of us arguing or something and her 'outing' me somehow.

Anyways, we're really good friends (as good as online friends can be) and she tells me about all of her dating problems, love life and other things. It would just be nice to have someone to talk to that I know.

Should I do it? And does it count as somewhat out or would I still be not out at all? :bang:

2. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Does she know your (real life) name? Can she find you on Facebook?

If she has any idea what it's like to be queer and closeted, she'll probably understand that outing you as revenge or something is a rotten thing to do. It sounds like it's probably okay to tell her, and it sounds to me like you want to.

If you do tell her, it counts as exactly what it is: being out to an online friend.

3. Lewis

Yeah she knows my real name, I have her added on Facebook. I do trust her, I just think it's my mind working overtime thinking it's possible that she would tell people.

I've now told her and she was fine, asked me a few questions and that was that. I just thought that an online friend would be a good platform to start from. Thanks.