1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I label myself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lexirae524, Apr 24, 2012.

1. lexirae524

Out Status:
    Some people
    In the long run, I see myself with a woman; right nOw I don't picture myself in a relationship.

I'm attracted to random people for random reasons that aren't necessarily sexual. Though I thought I was lesbian, I'm doubting myself because there are some guys that are cute or smell really good, and the absolute most I want to do is hug them (like friendly, not flirty). Men are kind of cozy like that. I like to hang out with guys but not date them. But it's somewhat difficult to picture myself dating either a man or woman.

How should I (or should I) even label myself?

2. castle walls

First off, welcome to EC! It's great to have you here!

I wouldn't worry about labeling yourself right now but that is just me. Labels aren't important to me. I think you should give yourself time and think about how you feel. It usually becomes clearer in time

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC. It sounds from what you have said that it most likely that you are gay, being gay doesnt mean you cant appreciate a cute or handsome guy or think they smell nice the same way a hetrosexual woman can appreciate a pretty girl or nice smelling girl. As the other poster said you dont have worry too much about labelling yourself, but at the same time if you are comfortable with a label then you can use it, you can just go with whatever feels right at the moment, if it changes in the future then you can worry about it then.

4. lavajava

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to EC. Its ok how you feel about some guys, that is normal. My advise would be dont worry about put yourself in to a box. Let the label come you. It sound like you who you are and did that with out a label. Label is just label they can mean many different things. You also can label for you self and make you own mean for it.

5. Lewis

Hey! Well to start off, I don't like any of these huge labels (although some may), that are like double barreled etc. If I personally wasn't sure, I wouldn't label myself at all. Just go with how you're feeling, eventually you'll know.

If it's the case that you'd rather have a label (in order to come out to people with that label) I would say you are a lesbian (my opinion), as you've clearly stated that you see yourself with a woman and only see men in a cuddly and friendly way.

Good look with working things out, wish you all the best! :slight_smile:

6. IvoryKate

I agree with lavajava that defining your own label is a good idea. Labels are kind of two-sided. On the one hand, they make it easier to communicate with people about what you are, on the other hand, our culture does not have enough freaking labels to cover everyone!! So, if you don't feel like a conventional label fits, make up your own.

And if you're still too confused to know what you want your label to be, don't worry about it. Take your time figuring things out. :slight_smile: