1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to my parents? help...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by October, Apr 25, 2012.

1. October

I really want to come out to my parents, but I have no idea how. I am so nervous about it that I literally can't string two words together in my head of what I would want to say. They aren't the type that I can use the bisexual bridge with (they think bisexuality doesn't exist. They think you are either born straight or gay.) or just say that I'm "questioning".

What if the .5% of me that likes the one guy that is my exception finds another exception for me. My parents would be all like "You said you were a lesbian! Dating guys and girls is amoral and slutty. You just want to sleep with anyone that will sleep with you." yada yada yada I have heard their opinion on it all before.

Any advice? I don't want to start dating someone until I am out to my parents. They're the type that would blame her and make us break up and I don't want to deal with that.

:help:

2. BudderMC

I think what you need to weigh is how lesbian (or how bisexual) you actually are.

And if you decide that you're more bisexual than lesbian, you need to weigh whether it's more important to tell your parents at risk of them not accepting it, or dating first and hoping it doesn't become an issue.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I think if you think (at least for the moment) it is highly likely that you are going to end up with a girl rather than a guy and you mainly feel gay then go for that. If in the future you find an exception to the rule then deal with that when you get there, chances are its not going to happen, and also if you have for the intervening period not been at all slutty or brought lots of girls to meet your parents chances are your parents will accept it reasonably easily.

As for coming out to them, if you find it hard to put the words together then I suggest that you write a letter which you then either read out to them, or leave it somewhere for them to read. The great thing about a letter is that you can spend sometime in advance working out exactly what you want to say and putting the words together.