1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mhm. So, would I still be gay if..?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Custard, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Custard

I've considered myself lesbian for about a month or two now, and am around the middle of the coming out stage. I'm still accepting who I am. I'm not... proud, or happy about it yet, it's going to take a little while to come to terms with myself. But, I have made an interesting discovery due to my two crushes at school. Ones a girl. Ones a boy. Sounds pretty Bisexual right? ...Well, I'm not sure. That's the thing.

I'm attracted to personalities. Why do I think this? Because I can like both sexes in a romantic way. BUT. I only like girls in a sexual way. Boys... The thought of relations with men revolts me. (No offense to anyone of course)

So am I still lesbian? Could it be possible that, maybe the only reason I'm crushing on this guy is because he's sweet to me, we're best friends and he's what I'd want in a girl...? Confusing stuff, my oh my. :|

But yeah, this girl I like, it's a full blown crush. I honestly think she likes me back in that way, we flirt all the time. X'DD

All helps appreciated. [; ♥

2. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Gay and lesbian are terms typically restricted to sexual orientation, so technically, yes, you would still be considered a lesbian. There are other terms used for romantic orientation, including heteroromantic, homoromantic, biromantic, and panromantic.

In the end, of course, what matters is what you identify with the most rather than a dictionary definition. Real-world matters of identity and orientation are rarely as clear cut as these definitions imply.

3. Drakey

well you need to understand that sexuality isn't a 100% thing. There's a lot of gray area. What I mean is very very few people are 100 percent straight and vice versa for gay. For example, I am completely attracted to men, but every now and then I see a woman who catches a slight bit of my attention. This can be the same for romantic feelings.

4. King

King Guest

^ I'm in this situation also. I, dare I say, quite fancy a girl who I get along SO well with. The problem, of course, is that when I'm talking to her, all I can think is "If only you were a boy." She's everything I'd want in a boyfriend, but I know at the end of the day that I'm attracted to men - likewise, it could be assumed that you are attracted to females at the end of the day.
    Don't let your crush on this boy confuse you. Follow your heart, as cliche as it sounds :slight_smile:
    x

5. Vesper

You're still a lesbian; the question right now is what your romantic orientation is. You are either biromantic or homoromantic--it depends on whether or the boy you are crushing on is an exception because he has the qualities you like in a girl, or you can have romantic feelings toward other boys. So far, I would say that you seem to be leaning toward being homoromantic.

I can relate, because I am almost exclusively romantically (and I presume sexually, though I could be asexual :confused:) attracted to women, though there have been a select few men on whom I had what could be construed as crushes. The reasons I liked these men had nearly everything to do with personality and nothing to do with physical attraction.

#5 Vesper, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  6. Mad Man L

Others have mentioned how romantic and sexual attraction are different. Another thing to take into account is that just because one might fall for someone of the opposite sex, it doesn't make you immediately bisexual. Sometimes, gays/lesbians may fall for someone of the opposite sex once or twice. And straight women/men might as well. This also explains the teenage "bisexual" women, who are in fact straight women attentionwhoring by showing affection for other women.

But I'd say in your circumstance, it's more a romantic attraction.