1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's time to tell my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by timo, Apr 28, 2012.

1. timo

Support and advice, yes, but mostly venting my thoughts... just to warn you, long rant is super long

Tomorrow I'll be visiting my parents for the first time in over 2 months. I'll be staying a few days and decided that I'm not going back to my own place before I've come out to them. I'm ready to tell them and I want them to know. But I don't really know what to say. It's highly unlikely my parents will ask or say something to which I can respond with telling them I'm gay. So I need to start the conversation myself. In my mind I've thought of saying something like this:
    From there on I'll see where it goes. The "into guys" thing might sound weird but makes perfect sense in Dutch. I'm not using the word gay/homo/whatever cause, even though I'm fine with typing it, I don't feel comfortable saying that out loud yet.

And this is where the dear-EC-I-need-your-support-and-advice-part starts :icon_bigg
    I want to keep this as short as possible, get the message out and then let them ask whatever they want to know. But I feel like this is too short and I'm afraid I'm leaving some important stuff out. Any things I should add?
    Also. I think about telling my mom first when my dad's at work, then in the evening tell my dad. Good idea or should I tell them both at the same time? How did you guys and girls do it? :slight_smile:

I don't know why I'm making this into a way bigger deal than it actually is. They'll probably accept it. One of my cousins is gay, also two of my parents' friends are a gay couple. So they definitely don't have a 'problem' with gay people, but hearing it from your son might be something different :/

Again sorry for the long rant but I needed to clear my mind.

2. Sayu

Maybe you should say that it isn't a phase and that you've felt this way for a long time :slight_smile:

I wish you luck! :slight_smile:

3. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Same here Be strong

4. Rach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wish you the best of luck, if you haven't told them yet and if you have then I hope that it went well for you :grin: x