1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irrational fear - please help!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sayu, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Sayu

I am so scared of coming out to my mum and I don't know why. My mum has been always very supportive and we have the most beautiful relationship you could ever imagine. I know she will be cool with me being probably-lesbian, because she is not homophobic, she even voted for a political party that wants to legalise registered partnership of people of the same sex.

So why am I so afraid of telling her? Help me to overcome this fear, please! Then I can tell my dad. I am not afraid of telling my dad at all, I am sure he will be super cool with it. But I want my mum to know first.

2. TheGreyMan

Regardless of the stance of the person, it's never an easy thing to come out. It's great that they're accepting though! I was terrified too until I finally went and did it and it went really well. But, you don't need to come out until you feel ready, always remember that.

3. October

Maybe you could tell your dad first. If anything it will probably make you less nervous about coming out to your mom.

4. Sayu

TheGrayMan, the thing is, I am probably ready to do this. And I really want to. I'm just too scared :frowning2:

October, I was thinking about it... my parents are divorced, but they lived together for a long time, so maybe my dad could tell me something about my mum and her opinions (even though I know enough to say she is okay with gays). But I just somehow feel that I want to tell mum first... :?

5. julia

I know exactly how you feel. And I also agree with October, I think you should tell your dad first if you're more comfortable with that. After you come out to one person, it does get easier. Good luck :slight_smile:

6. Vesper

Even for people like you who have gay-affirming parents, there will always be a little bit of uncertainty in their minds (e.g. what if they're okay with gay people in general but not me, their own child?, etc.) Of course, you can't say with 100% certainty that they will accept you, but with parents like yours, I'd say you're in an excellent position. Why let that tiny chance of a bad reaction keep you from doing what you personally wish to do?

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally freaking this... Many people are queer-affirmative but only in the abstract!

When I started coming out, I came out to friends first because that felt safer than my parents even though both are liberal. My dad also felt safer than my mom. Not really sure why, and it's so damn silly that we don't feel safe to come out to our parents.

Actually I think I know why. It's because we worry our parents might feel the need (as my mom did) to say "how do you know"/"how are you so sure at this age" and stuff like that, which I would say comes from a good place* but definitely is something we hear as unsupportive.

I would just say maybe come out to more friends or something and then try your parents. You'll be fine. (*hug*)

* But as they say in feminist communities, "intent is not magic."