1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it strange for someone in their 30s to never have had an relationship?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fiddlemiddle, Apr 29, 2012.

1. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there
    I am in my late 30s and I never had an relationship. I was with an group of friends and they were either older or younger than me but they all had relationships. Is there something honestly wrong with me for not ever being in an relationship? I cant discuss this with friends. My profile states I am in my 20s but I really in my 30s.

2. sanguine

i dont think its weird, ive read too many gay romance novels/stories to know it's somewhat of a trend, i think people think its more weird of your still virginal well into that age, again something im not really bothered about either.

are you looking for a relationship?

if so, who knows, maybe you will meet someone soon if thats what your looking for, if its anything like the stories ive read hes probably around the corner....... or hiding in a bush ready to kidnap you

#2 sanguine, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  3. sydneyguy83

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in my late twenties and am yet to have a relationship either. After years of fighting my sexuality I've finally accepted and am comfortable with who I am and have come out to close family and friends.

Definitely ready to find a parter now though :slight_smile:

4. JRNagoya

Not at all. We all approach things at different times. My sexual orientation confused me for so long that it hampered me having any sort of relationship. It wasn't until I finally accepted being gay late last year that I finally felt comfortable and worthy enough to be out and dating someone of the same sex. At 34, I'm finally in my first relationship. Though it's still early in the game, things are looking really good and I'm excited. What do you think is holding you back from your potential and what can be done to get you over that hurdle?

5. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that especially when you throw in the wrench of dealing with homophobia and learning to accept ourselves as who we are, all bets are off as far as relationship "norms" (if there is any such thing to begin with). So no, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Whether it bugs you or not is another question - if all of your friends have had relationships then I can understand the unease. I've had periods where I was single and all my friends were married couples - similar weirdness there. Are all of your friends currently partnered, or are some of them single?

6. cscipio

I agree with JRNagoya - I avoided relationships from the time I was 18 until current. Even now I still struggle with them because I'm still unsure what I want from life. The important thing is to ensure that you are not depriving yourself. I was OK with not having a relationship - Honestly, I still am. If you're not in "need" of a relationship, good. Otherwise, let yourself loose and see what happens.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, you're fine. I am 23 and have never been in a relationship. These things just take time as we get comfortable with ourselves and learn how to search others out.

8. starfish

No. I haven't been in a relationship, and I'm in my early 30's. Sometimes I want to be, but for the most part I don't want to be.

I'm a maverick* in the truest sense of the word. Rarely do I form very deep lasting relationships. I tend to live under the credo of "Friendship with all, entangling alliances with no one".

I can say that attitude is atypical, but that does not mean that anything is wrong with me. It is just who I am.

As long as you are overall happy in your life, I say nothing is wrong.

*Not the over used political meaning of the word.

9. Dalmatian

Just to add a "me too, me too" comment, I am also in a similar position. I am almost 31 now and I have never been in a relationship, mostly because I wasn't ready to accept my homosexuality and I wasn't interested in relationships with girls at all. Now, however, I hope this will change in near future.