1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hetero-romanticism

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cha Cha, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Cha Cha

So I've done some thinking and I think that I'm a hetero-romantic bisexual, but I don't exactly know what that means. I know I'm sure of the 'hetero-romantic' part. When I have a crush on a guy I get all giddy, butterflies in my stomach (the usual :lol:slight_smile: but I hardly ever think about sex with him. It kind of freaks me out, actually. It's more physical with girls.

I'm just not sure of the bisexual part. I'm not sure if it should be 'hetero-romantic bisexual or pansexual or homosexual'. I've tried looking on the internet for some help but I can never get a straight answer (unintentional pun :icon_wink). I was just hoping for some defintions or personal experiences to help me onderstand properly :slight_smile:

2. Waffles

If you wanna use labels, then I'd say you sound like a "hetero-romantic homosexual".
    The problem with labels is that they can't fully explain you. If I used labels, I'd be a "biromantic homosexual with exceptions"... but that's a mouthful to say, right? So I just say I am "me" and call it a day. In the end, you're just good ol' "you". Your orentation is "Cha Cha" or "*insert your first name here".

Obviously, you know that "hetero" means you ONLY want the opposite gender. Thus hetero-romantic means you want a MF romantic relationship, and not a FF one.
    You know that "bi" means you have attraction to both. So, by saying you are bisexual, you are saying that you can see yourself in a sexual relationship with either gender.
    "Homo" means that you are solely attracted to the OPPOSITE sex, romantically or sexually. You ONLY want FF, and not MF.
    But labels can only do so much justice.
    tl;dr : Labels can't cover EVERYTHING, so don't bother with them, 'kay~? ( 'w')b

#2 Waffles, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  3. It actually sounds like you're on the right track, Cha Cha.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about romantic orientation, but I have actually had times where I had those romantic sort of butterfly feelings for guys, even though I'm not all that sexually attracted to guys. But, I'm very sexually attracted to girls and also can get the romantic feelings for a girl whose personality I'm attracted to. Thus, I label myself pretty much gay.

It's really just figuring out a couple of true statements about yourself. "I am attracted physically to _________" and "I am most likely to have emotional attraction to _______"

If you can fill in those blanks, there's a best fit term or label for each combination of answers. Labels aren't bad, they're just for quick explanation when you want to be able to tell someone what you are attracted to, but don't want to have to spend ten minutes explaining it. You don't have to fit a label perfectly in order to use it, you can call yourself whatever feels best. And that label might change a little bit with how you feel over time.

4. nicecoolguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I was actually thinking about this in reference to myself. My identity I think has changed a lot these days. Recently, I was thinking I might be a hetero-romantic bi or even pansexual, because I do find some guys attractive sometimes. I'm sure about the first part, but the second was unclear. Then I kinda realized my attraction to guys isn't really strong enough to classify myself as bisexual. I'm only romantically interested in women, and definitely more sexually attracted as well, so for the most part I'm straight. Most of the attractive guys I see are on television, but when I get out in person, I don't know, it's just different. I mean, I see plenty of handsome guys but they just do nothing for me, not like women do. Things could change I guess, but for now, that's where I am.