1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self image issues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UncertainHopes, Apr 29, 2012.

1. UncertainHopes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've put myself in a dePressing mood because I've been thinking about my looks affecting my insecurities, my main insecurity is my teeth, because I have a major overbite with spaced buck teeth. When i talk I avoid smiling or showing my top teeth at all because I'm afraid of what people think of me. My family cant afford to get me braces and my dental hygentist told my mother that if i dont get braces i will have digestion problems later on in life. My grandfather was planning on paying for them but he had passed away last year. Im a generally happy person but I feel crappy because I go to such lengths to not show my teeth when i talk and cover my mouth when I laugh. When i discussed to my brother about me not able to get braces he told me im stuck looking like a freak and I cried for 2 days over that comment. I feel like everyone else is happy with themselves but me and I cant take it.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if your grandfather was going to pay for them, he had the money, right? Where did it go? I don't mean to be insensitive since obviously his death is a bigger deal, just wondering.

In any case, I can understand the self-consciousness about the teeth. How much will it cost in Canada/Toronto to get braces? If all else fails, could you get a job and pay for them yourself? It would be a lot of money, but if that's what you're spending your paychecks on, it should be doable. In addition to "fixing" something you don't like about yourself ("fixing," because there's nothing inherently wrong with you), it could give you a really big feeling of accomplishment to take charge on something like that.

Try not to worry too much about comments you'll get from people, even your dentist. Your brother was being mean, but siblings do that sometimes. And dentists will tell you everything you need to do because they need to make money. They'll keep telling you things to do until your teeth are flawless. :lol: But at 14, you're a long ways away from any problems, even potential ones.

3. sevinup07

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I completely understand because I feel the same way. I've always looked and dressed kinda bland even in my own opinion, and I attribute that to never really wanting to be myself, and now that I want to be I hate the way I look. My hair bothers the hell out of me because I've never been able to do much with it, and my skin is always breaking out in different places and it looks terrible. Basically I know I want to change the way I look but I don't even know where to start because it's been so long. I dress a lot better now and work out, but there's other features I don't know what to do with...

4. insidehappy

it is completely normal to feel unhappy with your appearance especially during the teen years. we all go through a phase where we feel less than our very best especially when we are teens. that's part of puberty. as far as the braces. you WILL get braces at some point. whether you pay for them yourself when you are able to get a job at 15/16 or later in life. there are several adults with braces now for the saem reason you mentioned. you may also try researching online to see if there if your family qualifies for dental assistance if you qualify income wise. some universities have low cost dental programs avaiblle to families in need. go online and research.