1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jon56, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Jon56

So I mostly just feel like talking to people about this situation, but I'd also like to hear what you folks think of it.

Anyways, there is a guy in my class at college, and I find him extremely attractive and have been absolutely dying to get to know him. Unfortunately other than by intentionally sitting behind him, there isn't much I've been able to do to initiate some kind of conversation. Of course I've tried doing little things to try and show interest, primarily things like turning around in my chair to watch him come into class or touching him on the shoulder to get his attention to pass up papers. I've noticed that he would do some similar things (though I could just be over-reading things) like turning all the way around in his chair to say thank you when passing forward said papers (with eye-contact). This small stuff has been going on for about this whole semester, so about 2 months.

So this last Thursday I noticed he turned around to look over his shoulder quite a few times, at least 4-5 within a minute or 2 and seemed to be looking right at me. After class got out, I stayed awhile after to help someone in another class with some Chemistry problems. As I was about to open the door, the guy I've been crushing over opens the door and looks inside, and then pulls his head back out as I'm leaving the class (this is weird cause he usually walks straight to his next class or to talk with friends, not to mention myself and the person I was helping were the only ones left in the classroom). So we are walking along the building together and out of the blue he starts talking to me, asking how I do on the tests. At this point I'm completely shocked as I've been dying to talk to him and here we are. Anyways, we end up talking about small stuff about each other like what classes we are taking and where he is from for around 30 minutes (we had to stop talking or else we would be late for our class). While we were talking it definitely seemed sort of like he may like me as well.

I know it's a little long, but what do any of you think? Do I just have a sever case of wishful thinking, or perhaps he has been feeling the same way I have? I don't think a presumably straight guy would wait after class to talk to another guy whom he has never technically spoken to before. (I should also mention he has a GREAT sense of fashion and even wears scarfs daily)

2. Leif

It definitely seems like in the least he's trying to start a friendship. So talk to him, invite him to hang out, maybe grab lunch or something. You never know where a simple conversation can lead :icon_bigg

3. Jim1454

Oh gosh yes. Even if you're reading too much into all this (and I'm not sure you are) what do you have to lose in asking him to join you for a coffee some time?

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think we can yet jump to conclusions about whether he's romantically interested, but it sounds like he's definitely open to the idea of becoming more than passers-by.
    Might mean it stops at being good friends, but that's a stage you'd need to pass on your way to more in any case.

So: focus on chatting a few more times first. Start the odd conversation yourself (if you're in classes together, you should have infinite complaints, comments or anecdotes to share about school alone), and see if you can grab lunch or a drink together (doesn't need to sound all date-ish. Just "hey, it's noon. Want to go grab a bite?" can suffice).

With time, you'll see if you can keep the conversations up, and if it works out, you can still go for more at that time!

Incidentally... I'm always amazed at how scarves seem a badge of gayness in the U.S. Around here, it seems everyone wears them, gay or straight alike.

5. Jon56

Hahaha yea =P he is from Belgium actually so maybe thats why, but still I can hope

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2012 at 02:32 PM ----------

And I'll definitely enjoy at least being friends with him even if he wasn't interested, so I guess it will be win or super win :icon_bigg