1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know if I'm going to make it out with my sanity

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RemyLeBeau, Apr 30, 2012.

1. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

Every freaking day, the humans I call my parents take another thing away. I can't leave or it upsets my brother. I have a C? Not allowed to see the family I see 4 times a year at most. No sleepovers. I can't have a 16th, 17th, or 18th birthday party (I've actually had one birthday party with my cousins once, but that was it). ipod? Not until summer if I'm lucky. Then, no texting until 6pm to 8pm. Now it's 8pm-11pm. No caffeine, and now no dairy products as of today. I have to ask permission before I get a bowl of cereal or anything to eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I can't go out and make friends, I have had to potty train a child and change diapers for my brother AND children my mom gets paid to watch for free and with NO benefit other than the occasional "You can go in your room and be done for now" every night.

I have needed ink for my homeschooling for MONTHS. Ink I cannot afford to buy myself. Ink SHE is responsible for buying. I can't even leave the house to buy another bra, which I desperately need. I am NOT under any circumstance even allowed to suggest getting a job. "We aren't discussing this now," is ALWAYS the answer when I try to protest.

And GOD forbid I get sick. Everyone else is allowed to feel miserable, but I'm a baby for not being able to control the urge to hurl after cleaning up a child's fecal matter from the damn floor.

And always with how awful a daughter I am. "We know what your problem is." "This attitude needs to stop." "I swear to fucking God I will beat you if you do not drop that fucking tone." "Oh wah, you're depressed. GET OVER IT." "Ariel, I DON'T CARE IF YOU KILL YOURSELF. You'd only hurt yourself." "No one cares." "You're gonna be just like your worthless father." "FAILURE."

I HATE IT. And I'm finally rebelling. Raising my voice. Talking back. And I know it's gonna end in another god damn concussion. Yep, last year I didn't clean something properly, she was PMSing, and she ended up grabbing my hair and beating me senseless, pounding my head with her fist so hard, I had a headache for weeks, couldn't brush my hair for a month, and I STILL get super nervous when people touch my hair. Somehow she hit me so hard so many times I actually almost passed out, but she yanked me up and beat me back into god dam consciousness!

AND HER HUSBAND. That fucking homophobic misogynist. I DO have a girlfriend, I'm NOT interested in 11 inches of anything related to men, I am NOT doing this for attention, I DO know I like women, and I'd LOVE for you to shut your damn mouth trashing my girlfriend whenever you aren't trashing me or my biological father!

I've had extremely suicidal thoughts and have no where to go for help thanks to my lack of a phone. I don't want to live here anymore. I can already hear her down there telling her precious hubby about the, and I quote, "slave work [she's] going to make [me] do." She doesn't even care that the bastard treats me like crap for being gay or whatever the hell I am! She just doesn't care!

FUN FUN FUN! Let's add the pressures of Asperger's, anxiety and severe depression, add a sprinkle of "YOU GET STRAIGHT A'S OR YOU DON'T GET FRIENDS", being forced to get the prestigious Gold Award in Girl Scouts, top it with normal teenager crap and you have someone who desperately wants to move in with her crazy, dirt poor daddy rather than live here another day.

I mean, my extended family and friends think something is wrong, but I don't know what to do...

2. Jim1454

Wow. This sounds horrible, and as hard as it is to believe that people treat their children like this, I imagine some do. It just isn't right. That people leave their kids with your mom is frightening.

I gather you're home schooled, so I guess you don't have a teacher or counsellor or school administrator to turn to. But I picked up from your post a few sources of support. Friends, extended family, and Girl Scouts.

If you do get out of the house to go to Girl Scouts, can you have a conversation with one of the leaders of your troop? Are they aware of the kind of home you're coming from? Can they perhaps do some digging for you in terms of support from social services? A foster home might be your best bet compared to living with your mother and her husband.

But what about extended family? Are there aunts or uncles who could step in if you asked them to? Grandparents? Older cousins?

Lastly, there might be some friends who are familiar enough with your situation that their parents might have pity on you and invite you to live with them. The problem is that I don't see this move as temporary. I see it being permanent. And not many people are going to sign up to raise someone else's kid when they aren't a relative.

But it does sound like you need to make a change if you're to escape with your sanity.

3. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

My mom IS my Girl Scout leader. All my Girl Scouts shite is done here. I don't leave for anything. Even my therapist comes here.

I actually once asked my maternal Grampa to take me home with him the last time he visited, and I hint around to my mom's sister and her husband I want out of here. I told my school therapist I wanted out and she said I was stuck here, at least until I turn 18. God knows they won't LET me leave. My dad has no rights over me, so that's out.

My girlfriend's house is next door, and even though her dad offered a spot in their place if I ever needed out of my house, it's just too close for comfort for me.

I don't think my one friend could take me in his house, but I MIGHT be able to escape to the other friend's IF I had to. Her dad is pretty cool, but I don't think her mom would take it well.

4. seeksanctuary

You need to tell the therapist about her beating you. Physical abuse is, flat out, illegal. If you get CPS involved, she could get in serious trouble. She is not allowed to hit you, EVER, mother or not.

I highly suggest taking the offer to get the hell out of there. Tell them what is going on. Maybe your girlfriend's dad can help you. If you have an adult and other people standing behind you and you contact the authorities, it gives you more power.

Hang in there, regardless. You're almost 18. Legally, you'll be free then and you can get out of there for sure.

5. lilbitlost

Oh wow, you have got to get out of there! There must be an organisation or charity you can contact, it sounds like your stateside so i'm not sure what charities there are over there, but there has to be some. Over here (in the UK) theres quite a few, failing that theres always the police and social services. How long until your 18th birthday? Also if your mum is likely to beat you, id recommend keeping your head low, im usually one for standing up for yourself, but you wanna get out of there in one piece. Also some kind of authorities should be warned about your mother if shes taking care of other people's children.

6. Jim1454

She IS your girl scout leader?!? Is this like 'home school' scouting?!? Or is she the leader of a troop? Because if she's a leader of a troop, then there are even MORE crazy parents putting their children in the care of someone who sounds pretty unstable.

I'd agree that the counsellor that you're able to speak to should be told that your mom is physically violent and that her husband is emotionally abusive.

If you're able to write all of this here, I'm assuming you're able to write an email to your aunt and uncle. Tell them what is going on when nobody else is around. Let them know that you're miserable and that you don't think it's safe for you there, and that you'd like their help. Be sure that they understand that you're afraid of repraisals from your mother - and that just talking to her isn't likely to work.

7. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

She hasn't beat me like that for a long time, and it's only happened two or three times in my life, not including that time she slapped me for telling her off once.

I CAN over power her, and I will defend myself. I think she's aware of this, considering the last time she grabbed me I was able to hold her off easily despite my terror of going into a concussion (she later talked about how I attacked her :bang:slight_smile:.

She won't harm the other kids. She actually likes them. Especially her son. And no, I'm the only one in my troop. Alone as usual.

And my therapist KNOWS how my step father is. I even told her about the death threats I got once when I cracked under stress and almost killed myself. She tells me unless I'm in danger, I gotta rough it out.

I'm so terrified to tell anyone I personally know what my mother did. She only did it a few times, it's not like it's regular. Not that it needs to be.

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2012 at 02:05 PM ----------

She's not unstable, but I stress her out so much. Plus I'm her only outlet for stress.

I feel like a terrible daughter. My mother's husband almost left once because of me. I screw everything up and I probably deserve all this.

8. Curly

It is not your fault. You do not deserve this kind of treatment from anyone. You are not the cause for your mother's behaviour. I repeat, this is not your fault. (*hug*)

Your mother is a grown women who has to take responsibility for her own actions. How she and your step father is making you feel is not ok. You do not need to feel ashamed of asking for help and you should not be ashamed for what you've had to go through.

There are more ways of damaging a person than physically abusing them. Emotional abuse is equally as damaging.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. No one deserves this kind of treatment, and its not your fault. (*hug*)

9. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

GOOD BYE SOCIAL LIFE. I'm screwed. I have a D in chemistry. I'm dead. No more phone or Facebook. I can see it now.

See?! I JUST got over this in therapy! It's not everything to be a genius, but I'm freaking screwed because MY PARENTS ARE GOING TO FREAKING KILL ME FOR THIS.

Dammit, I need to get my grade up, but now I'm having a mental break down. Fuck I'm so dead.

10. Jim1454

Well did your mother beat you unconscious or didn't she? I don't think that needs to be a regular occassion to warrant you being afraid for your safety and asking for help.

And I'd say that a mother who beats her daughter, suggests that nobody will care if you kill yourself, and suggests you're going to be as worthless as her father is in fact unstable. She isn't a good mom.

The only person who can change your situation is you though. If you think it's bad enough to tell your aunt and uncle all of these things then do so, and hopefully they'll be able to do something about this. Don't embellish. Don't exagerate. Tell them exactly what is happening... Document what's going on in your life in some kind of journal or log so that people can get a sense as to how bad things really are.

11. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

But that's my mom's SISTER. I doubt she'll betray her sister for me, no matter what the circumstance. I love my aunt and I'm scared to ruin their relationship.

12. WydenEmmie

Out Status:
    A few people
    Although I can understand not wanting to ruin your aunt and mother's relationship with each other, if there is no other trusted adult you can turn to for help until you're 18, you should really tell them.

(*hug*)

13. Jim1454

Well maybe your aunt can offer you some advice. She knows your mom better than we do, so perhaps she'd have some suggestions for you. You don't need to approach her with "Your sister is bat-shit crazy and is beating me! Please help!" Instead you can approach her with "Your sister and I are not seeing eye to eye on things, and I'd like to get your perspective on some stuff."

But if you're not going to bring this up with another adult then you really are signing yourself up for whatever crap your mom and her husband are going to keep throwing at you. There isn't really anything that we can do for you from this end.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a situation where if you call child protective services, they will definitely investigate and intervene. If your counselor and other adults aren't helping, that's the route I'd take.

15. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

So should I speak up to my therapist about a beating that happened so long ago? She knows all the rest.

I would wanna call my dad first. Just in case, I need to have a place to go if things get out of hand. But thanks to my grade dropping, I'm pretty sure my phone privileges to anyone but them is gonna be removed. I guess I can call him on Skype if I get the privacy ever...

To be honest, I'm terrified.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Leave in the middle of the night while you're mom's asleep, if you have to. If the situation is as you describe, you could go to the police department and explain that you're completely cut off from all communications, and you need to see someone from CPS, and they will arrange that. Or they will call your dad. But the point is... you have options, you just have to take advantage of them.

17. Aldrick

Alright, I'm just going to be blunt. Your therapist sucks major ass. If you're trying to hurt yourself, you are in danger. He's supposed to report that.

Let me ask you some basic questions. When you turn eighteen are either of your parents (or step parents) prepared, capable, or willing to pay for college? When you turn eighteen will you have a place to live that is not your current situation, or do they basically intend to kick you out? How much support will you need or have from your parents (or step parents) once you turn eighteen? Do you intend to leave the moment you turn eighteen and tough it out on your own?

These are some important questions you need to ask yourself. If you are reasonably certain that you are going to be on your own when you're eighteen years old, and your parents (or step parents) are no longer of any benefit to you after that point... then I'd seriously consider contacting Child Protective Services.

Speak to them. Let them do an investigation. Let them know what is going on. Inform them that you need help.

One possibility is that they'll remove you from the home and place you into foster care. Of course, since you're seventeen, you'll be aging out of the system very quickly.

Another possibility is that they'll leave you at your home, but do frequent visits to check on the status of you and the other children. This might be the most likely outcome, and may or may not be bad. It'll keep your parents (and step parents) on their toes, and hopefully make abusing you difficult.

If you think you're at risk of hurting yourself, you need to seek help. You need to inform your therapist - tell him flatly - that if he doesn't get you out of there, that you're going to end up hurting yourself. He is legally obligated to take action to prevent such a thing from happening.

18. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

Okay, bring it.

... Parents help pay for college?! Since when? I'm on my own financially. They've already stated that... but other parents actually HELP?

My step dad like to bring up how much he wants to kick me out the day after Christmas (my birthday). I couldn't bear living here longer, but the only place I have is my Grandma's.

They will probably give me none. I'll need it I'm sure, but I'll have to deal.
    Again, I am SICK of this place and I want out. But I'll still be in my junior year when I turn 18...

They've only abused me three times, the last time being years ago. And I have stated that, but I won't hurt myself. As much as I want to cut, and as easily as I can imagine a blade in my hand, I'm not able to kill myself. I live for my baby brother in Pittsburgh and my girlfriend. If I die, they would be under terrible pain and I can't do that. So she knows I CAN'T hurt myself.

I just wanna be a normal teenager. I wanna go out with friends and come home and not be terrified of my grades or my mother and go on dates with my girlfriend and sleep in on Saturdays...

19. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you should seriously get out of there

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2012 at 02:36 PM ----------

If your only other place is your grandma's, why can't you go there?

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2012 at 02:39 PM ----------

"They've only abused me three times, the last time being years ago."
    You can't make excuses for them. Abuse IS Abuse. Again, you NEED to get out of there.

20. Mogget

Echoing Chip: Get out. Leave in the middle of the night, get to a police station or hospital, and let them know what's going on. Your current environment is clearly unsafe, and you have no incentive to stay.