1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with my mum?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lewnatic, May 2, 2012.

1. Lewnatic

I came out well over 3 months ago, after plenty of anxiety and depression and long talks, I'm out of it. Everything seems back to normal, no one cares that I'm gay.
    HOWEVER, the other week, two women kissed on TV. My mum said "ewww girlies!" and instantly realised what she had done when I acted cold with her. We had a talk, I said:
    "I can't change who I am and won't apologize for it."
    and she said
    "Well neither can I." (it didn't sound so deep as this, she merely meant she can't help how she feels and doesn't want to have to stop when she speaks her mind).

5 minutes ago, she did the same thing. Flinched "ew!" when two men kissed on TV.
    I pretended not to hear, though I think she knows I did.

What do I do about this? I can't go on watching TV with my mum wondering if a gay kiss is going to pop up. I need to sort this out...

2. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you need to let her know that this sort of stuff really offends you and she doesn't have to be saying this sort of stuff. She can think whatever she wants, but she shouldn't be saying it. She also might just need a bit more education -- maybe show her a few essays on homosexuality and how there's nothing wrong with it? I know this isn't a lot, but it's all I've got...

3. Aldrick

You need to have a frank and honest conversation with your mother. She knows you're gay, there is nothing to hide now. You have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

So, speak to your mother. Let her know how it offends you when she does stuff like that, and ask her pointedly if she is going to act like this when you get a boyfriend and bring him around. Ask her how she would feel if you were walking down the street with your boyfriend, holding hands, and a bunch of passersby started hurling insults at you: "That's gross! You're nasty! You're disgusting!"

If she loves you, she might see it from a different perspective. She might understand why it is offensive.

People don't often think about what comes out of their mouths and how it impacts other people.

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont think you can 'deal with it'. She probably will never change - no matter how much you tell her to.