1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Um...hi? Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tgood19, May 3, 2012.

1. Tgood19

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Basically. I think I like men and women. My mom used to say there's no such thing as being bisexual so when I was younger I brushed it off and figured I was just straight. But now my mom and I are both the wiser. Her best friend is bi.

It's not that I don't think people would support me or whatever. I know everyone im close to would support me. It's just complicated. I feel like I don't know myself now. I'm terrified.

I just need someone to talk to.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you have definitely come to the right place. Its a scary thing dealing with your sexuality or realising you are not straight and everyone knows what it feels like. Its great that you Mum has become wiser, and obviously you are well aware that being bisexual is real and normal.

What do you think makes it complicated? What is you biggest fear right now?

3. sevinup07

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've been there too not very long ago. My family had always taught this and even when I started thinking for myself more, I put away the thought I might be bi. I even kissed a guy, liked it, and still never accepted myself as bi. It's kind of amazing how you can keep something like that from yourself. Don't rush yourself to fit under a label, just find out who you are. It's a very confusing time when you introduce the possibility to yourself. Once you are comfortable with it yourself you can think about coming out completely, but you have to get there first.

The good news is you aren't alone, and you came to a good place. This board is full of great people. Anything you need to talk about, just ask and I can try to help. Feel free to message me. :slight_smile:

4. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was also feeling scared when I realized I was bi. By that time in my life I already knew I was genderqueer, but being bisexual still took some getting used to.
    The good news is that it gets easier as soon as you hear about other bisexual people, and realize it's just another sexual orientation. I'm actually happy about it now, because it means I can explore more kinds of relationships than if I were only attracted to men or to women.
    I found out I have a preference for genderqueer people, which sort of makes me gay, but then I also like women, and some guys.

5. julia

Hi :slight_smile: It's incredibly normal to feel scared and confused when it comes to one's sexuality.
    Beng bisexual is most definitely a 'thing'. You can like men and women both. But you don't have to stick yourself to a label. Unless you want to, I know I like to. I like to know what I like so labels are nice for me to know. But they're definitely not mandatory. Good luck :slight_smile:

6. Tgood19

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow. Thank you guys so much. I didn't really think I'd get responses. I feel so...awkward. I feel like all my life I told myself I was straight because I like guys and I didn't think being bisexual was real. I was raised mormon too so that really puts my childhood in perspective I guess. Idk, I don't consider myself not religious now. It just seems strange that I guess who or what I am no longer aligns with something that was a part of my life for so long.

I'm really close with my mom but I wouldn't know how to talk to her about it. I almost want it to just go away. Sometimes she'll joke around with me that I'm a lesbian (because my grandparents, who live with us, are very religious) and I've always been really defensive and said no vehemently. Now it just seems like, how do I jump that hurdle?

I especially wouldn't tell my grandparents. Or probably anyone beside my mom and my siblings. I just can't see myself every coming out. I mean, I've said "I'm bi" before...to complete strangers.

Sorry for the ineloquent word vomit. I'm just very nervous even just being here. :eusa_doh:

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dont worry a lot of people are nervous when they first come ot EC I know I was.
    There are many reasons why people question their sexuality later. To be honest at 19 I wouldnt even say you were questioning it late. I didnt question my sexuality until I was in my mid 20's and I didnt grow up in a religious situation, I was never really into guys but I didnt find them repulsive and I just never really thought about girls.

Dont worry there is no rush to come out, you dont have to tell anyone until you are ready and want to. I suggest that you stick around EC and chat to lots of people. Once you are more comfortable accepting yourself you might feel more like telling other people.