1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vyvance, May 3, 2012.

1. vyvance

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, and he expressed his concern on a matter when we wandered onto the subject of relationships. The situation is as follows:

He has been dating a girl for several years now, and both have expressed their love for one another. Recently, though I don't know how recently, she informed him over her desire to transgender. She also informed him that she had always felt she was a him.

He told me that he has no problem with those who are LGBT, that he had a couple of friends who are gay, and that he fully supports her in her decision. His dilemma lies with what happens after. He says he truly loves her and that he wants nothing more than to be with her, but that he is concerned about his ability to continue dating her after she goes through with it. He again stated that he supports her in doing it, but that he simply doesn't find males physically attractive and is unsure how comfortable he will be dating her after.

So I guess the advice he was looking for is how to move past that concern or uncomfortableness, because he does love her and doesn't want it to get in the way.

I advised him to be upfront with her about it and let her know in advance his concerns, to potentially mitigate issues from arising. Being upfront would also allow them to support one another through it all, and that mutual support would prove beneficial for both of them. I also told him to remind her that he loves her, supports her, and wants to continue to be with her regardless of her decision.

He hasn't spoken to her about it yet since she is out of state visiting her family, so I wanted to seek the opinion of others on the matter. First, to ensure that the advice I gave him was good advice and won't be harmful in any way. Second, to see if there is any other advice, or better advice, that I can give him regarding the matter.

Thanks in advance if you take the time to read this and/or for your advice should you have any.

P.S. I want to apologize in advance if I failed to use correct terminology or gender labels when referring to my friends romantic partner. I didn't mean to offend anyone should I have failed in the above, and I hope that no one takes offense to it should I have. If I failed to correctly do so, please let me know how/what/why so that I can try not to offend anyone in the future.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey dont worry you wont have offended anyone here, its great that you want to help your friend. I think you gave your friend great advice already, I dont really have anything helpful to add but im sure more people will post on your thread and come up with some helpful advice, I will say though if you want you could tell your friend about EC and then maybe he can make an account and have some support, it doesnt matter that he isnt gay or transgender anyone is welcome to support at EC.

3. vyvance

Thanks for the response. Next time I talk to him I'll suggest he might look into EC.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome, if you want the staff to hide the thread about you asking for advice for him then they can do that.