1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Way To Quiet =/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by secretguyX, May 3, 2012.

1. secretguyX

I'm so quiet, not just the typical shy person, but even more so. Most people are shy around strangers and friendly around their friends, but I'm just quiet around everyone. I really hate it, I would love to be more outgoing, I just have trouble doing so. My friends always tell me how quiet I am (I'm not as quiet around them as others, but still). The girl I have a crush on has told me multiple times how quiet I am, and that she wishes I'd talk to her more. Well pretty much everyone has told me how quiet I am. I think some people take it as I don't want to talk to them, but that's not true, I do. How should I change this? I really want to, not for other people, but because I truly want to be friendly. :confused:

2. Mogget

It's okay to be a quiet person. I'm fairly quiet myself. With most of my friends, our conversations are 60-90% them talking and me listening. This isn't necessarily something you have to change, it's just your personality.

3. Travel Tech

If you would really k=like to be more outgoing, then seeing a counselor is never a bad option. My university counselor has been helping me out with that exact problem, and I feel I've had some improvement. But you shouldn't try to be more outgoing just because other people think you should, only be as outgoing as you want yourself to be.

4. secretguyX

I know it's okay to be quiet, but I don't want to be. I want to be outgoing for me, not just because other people would like me to be too.

5. Travel Tech

One thing in particular that helped me was putting myself in situations where it felt more awkward to not say anything than to be more outgoing. For example, I joined a political group on campus and signed up for activities where it was my job to talk to people, and even be that annoying person holding a clipboard who wants you to sign something and won't take no for an answer. Just do stuff kind of like that, and it helps if you're already interested in what you're doing.