1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreaming of the ex...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Koll, May 4, 2012.

1. Koll

So as of probably late april, and early May -- I've been having dreams of my ex.

It seems to be only snuggly moments though; Like laying in his arms, having a nap, remembering his body and such.

I don't really miss who he is as a person (He's quite beta..) and I don't understand why I'm dreaming of him.. I just know I'm getting annoyed by it. :eusa_doh:

What /can/ this mean, and what can I do?

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Perhaps it just means that you miss having intimate connection with a partner. It does not always imply that you want an old partner back, but rather that you just miss sharing that connection with another person. Its been a while, but when I was single I would spend close to a year apart between ex's, and it wasnt the person I missed, it the connection you get out of having an intimate partner you can be vulnerable and tender with.

Dont read into it to much,
    Sending love,

3. Koll

I know I miss having a partner for a fact.. I've been chasing after a couple guys so far but no luck. It's been six months though; Why would I dream of someone I despise?

.. Anyway to stop it? :/

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whether you love them or despise them, it makes sense to dream of someone who is significant to you in some way. All this probably means is that you're spending some significant amount of time thinking about them, whether consciously or unconsciously. Same reason explains why you don't regularly dream about that kid you knew in 2nd grade who moved away and you've never seen since. You just never think about them.

As for ways to stop it, dating other people may or may not help. "Replacing" them in your life might give you new things to think about...or it might remind you of all the things that happened in your last relationship. It might even keep you thinking "wow, my new bf is so much better than my ex..." and then he's back in your thoughts.

I suggest spending time thinking about other parts of your life, especially things that have nothing to do with him. A sport you play, a game you enjoy, friends, family, some sort of hobby, anything. The more you fill your thoughts with things that have nothing to do with your ex - or even with dating in general - the quicker your thoughts will move on. But fast or slow, it will require some time, so be patient with yourself.