1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jdscbtw, May 5, 2012.

1. Jdscbtw

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So like I was wondering is there any way for a guy in high school who is in the closet and curious to meet others like himself without coming out to everyone or am I going to be alone untill I could go to bars and clubs and what not

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I really hope your idea of meeting other gay people is not bar's and clubs first of all. Those are usually not the gay people you want to be in relationships with (friends or otherwise). You could try the choir or theatre department at your school, or a GSA, or even your local LGBT organization, they all have meet ups for gay youth, and I think most of them are discrete.

I can tell you, however, that it is definitely easier to meet gay people and start making connections when you are out. :slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are lots of places to meet gay people, and honestly, bars and clubs are not the best choice anyway. :slight_smile:

You might look and see if there's an LGBT center anywhere near you. That would be a safe space to go and "dip your toes in", and there will be many closeted people there like yourself, so you won't feel alone or uncomfortable.

You can also seek people out, for example in school, but that's a lot harder if you're not out, and it also requires that you have fairly well developed gaydar.

What's standing in the way of your being comfortable coming out? Perhaps talking about that a little bit might give some idea of what other options there might be for you.