1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drugs?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by stumble along, May 6, 2012.

1. stumble along

So I have AP tests coming up (about five of them) and I really need to study, a friend of mine recently has been started on adhd mess because he gets really hyper apparently, and he gave me one so I could go hardcore studying today. Now to me logically it makes sense (unless one pill could kill you in that case then no, since ill probably end getting meds too as I have a serious problem myself) but morally ive never done anything even mildly illegal, and taking medicine thats not yours is pretty illegal... I wouldn't have a problem with this if I knew the drawbacks.

2. Leif

Taking other peoples prescribed pills is never a good idea, you never know how your body will react to something. As someone who's struggled with the misuse of medication I strongly feel it's just a bad idea. I personally find it far too tempting to keep on wanting that feeling of extra energy and attention gained from medication, and I know I sound like one of those stereotypical Anti-drug adds, but I think it really is better to just never do it in the first place.

3. You don't know if you're allergic. You don't know if that drug will do crazy shit to you. You don't know what dose you should be starting on. FOR YOU, not your friend. That's why taking other people's prescriptions is dangerous.

I wound up in a hospital from taking my OWN newly prescribed medication. I can't imagine what taking other people's meds could do to me...and I don't want to know.

Don't do this, seriously don't.

4. stumble along

Well I mean I did look it up and its relatively safe for a one time use but there is still a risk, besides I have to take it in the morning so if I do plan to take it I have to wait until tomorrow, but I'm really tempted to just flush it down the toilet. But then again I really need to study and I cant I get way too distracted. I know I have add/adhd to some degree I just haven't gotten checked out for it (all my report cards always has 'needs to focus more's trouble focusing' 'easily distracted' ) even when I talk to people I zone out or look at something else.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would strongly recommend flushing it down the toilet. People taking amphetamines for ADHD are in a different situation than people taking them to study. They can be *extremely* addictive and the people I know that have used them have all said they found themselves wanting to use them more and more... and of course, nobody ever plans to get addicted, so the "Oh, I know I never would" argument isn't worth much.

Additionally, ADHD has gotten to be a bullshit diagnosis, and essentially a legalized way to create a nation of drug addicts. While there are people who genuinely have ADHD, the drugs to treat ADHD are grossly overprescribed to a point where one study I read estimated that 70% of the children and young adults on medication for ADHD don't actually have it and don't need it.

This is something that, in the long run, you will be *much* happier if you avoid. If you do have some difficulties with attention and focus, there are much better and safer ways to deal with it, such as learning to meditate and various other practices.

6. stumble along

I guess ill just give it back tomorrow, my one thing for not flushing it is that it is perfectly good (if a tad misused) medicine, and if my friend actually has adhd and didn't play it up for the drugs, then he needs ot.
    Truth be told that I didn't get any sort of studying done whatsoever today.

7. greeneyes

As someone who has taken a ton of AP tests successfully, studying for those is NOT about exhaustion levels but rather about your level of motivation. You have to prepare in advance. GETTING SLEEP, EATING WELL, AND PREPARING IN ADVANCE are the best things you can do.

Make a plan (hour by hour) each day. Take timed practice tests, make study sheets, etc. Most importantly, don't worry just study! The worrying will go away with the studying!

Now get off this site and go back to studying! =)

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take 5 or 10 minutes, close your eyes, take some deep breaths, and just set the intention for yourself that you can and will do really well on the tests, that you can study effortlessly, and that you can keep focus and absorb the information you need to do well on the test.

It may sound like BS, but studies have shown that intent can play a huge role in improving focus and retention of studied material.

And then, when you're sitting down to actually take the test, try to arrive a few minutes early and do the same thing: close your eyes, focus on relaxing and having confidence in yourself that you know the material and will be able to do quite well on the tests.

The people I know that have actually practiced these techniques have found them to be very helpful. And they're free, and nonaddictive :slight_smile:

9. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to say something to this effect, but it's already been said. You have zero idea of whether or not this is safe for you. Looking it up on places like WebMD or Wikipedia is about as safe as going to a clown. There's a reason that people go through 8 years or more of school plus a residency to become doctors.

It may not seem like it now, but AP tests are not worth subjecting yourself to prescription drugs, and certainly not if they're anything other than painkillers. There's no good time to get used to psychiatric meds as a study aid. Take some time to relax, do your best on the tests, and enjoy whatever credit you get from them. I strongly recommend giving it back to your friend - if he's been prescribed them, then he needs them, as you say.