1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jobs at 15

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zaio, May 6, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC.

After suffering too much depression and feeling sorry for myself so many months I'm just tired of it, it's time to change things and shove it in everyones face and shut them the hell up. I want to get a job so I can just come home a few months after working and prove my self worth.

What jobs can I get at 15? I am 15 1/2, so I have not left school yet however I have unusual time schedules. My days in school are very short as it is a type of private school, however there is a lot of work at with books so it's not as easy as it sounds. Anyway here is my time schedule.

Monday - 9:30 -12:45
    Tuesday - 9:30 - 10:30
    Wednesday - 12:00 - 13:30
    Thursday - 9:30 - 13:35
    Friday - 9:30 - 11:45

^ Again don't underestimate this schedule as it is not the reason for this thread, I am getting the required education as I have loads of work to do at home.

Anyway, what type of jobs can I get? How do I apply? Do I need a CV at my age? If so what do I put on it? I am unsure of these things as I have never had a job before but I want to start. Do I just go in random shops and ask if they have any available late day/weekend jobs or something?

Thanks to anyone who can supply me with information, looking forward to hopefully changing my life around for the better.

2. starfish

I'm not sue of the laws in the UK, but in most states here you could get a job working at a fastfood place or a grocery store.

I did get my first job with a pay check until I was 17. Before that I just did odd jobs. Basically anything that people would pay me to do. So you might want to look into that. Mowing lawns, helping people move, clean houses stuff like that.

--Edit to add. There are a lot of flakey teenagers out there. So if you have friends who are working who can give you a reference that can help. That is how I got my first job, and pretty much how I have gotten every job I have had.

#2 starfish, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do hate to say it (dependent on your feelings about it) but generally the most jobs a 15 year old can get is 1. fast food, 2. grocery store, or 3. variety/corner store. Other than that, most others require previous job experience that you don't really have, no offence. But like retail for example often asks you to have previous experience in retail (which often annoys me cause it's like...errr how can i get experience if you guys won't let me apply without it >_>)

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yeah I will work in pretty much any place that will take me, grocery store/fast food place sounds fine to me.

What sort of fast food places will take me? What type of jobs can I expect to do at these places? And how do I apply? I don't want to ruin my chances by going in and asking if they have any jobs if I'm supposed to apply with something.

Thanks for the comments so far :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th May 2012 at 10:27 PM ----------

Should I just go into my local store and ask to speak to the manager then ask what the age requirement is? I am definitely responsible, I would always show up on time and when asked etc. I heard dominos in the U.S require you to be 16, but a lot of places say it's 15 in the UK, if I manage to get a job there what can I expect? Would I most likely be cleaning up or something?

5. BornAnew

Hey you can try to get a part time job at Pizza Hut...I think their site says Over 14's are allowed to apply.

And yeah just go around town asking store managers for job applications & tell them what type of job you could get, try HMV, GAME, Blockbusters etc.

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Ok thanks I'll try that :slight_smile:

7. King

King Guest

You picked a great age to get a job - I just turned 15 when I got my first (and current) job and have saved enough money to pay for both years of college and now I'm saving for a down payment on a house :grin: (plus, you can get raises... I turned 18 today and I've already received two raises on top of my already-higher-than-student-wage pay).
    So apply anywhere that will take you! I don't know how wages are in the UK, but nonetheless. apply, apply, apply!

8. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trying retail is a bad idea; they're not going to hire a 15 year old when they have 20 year olds with experience trying to get hired. This I know from experience.

9. ameliawesome

a friend of mine worked on a horse farm at 14-15. i think there's a good chance if you find some sort of personal business that you have some passion for (like my friend had a passion for horses) they'd be willing to work something out with you.

10. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I work at an amusement park and I'm only 15, 15 1/2 next month, here in the US. But most places do hire 14 and up.

11. Dauntless

Out Status:
    Some people
    My first jobs around that age were odd jobs. I made a killing on them. Once you get a good handful of people, the work doesn't stop. Lawns, Moving stuff, building furniture, oil changes, etc. I also did a brief stint at a car dealership washing cars and checking stuff.

The problem I had with going to fast food or anything like that is I cant deal with stupidity, and I would wind up getting canned quickly.

12. caughtbywitness

I've had one since I was 14, waitering. It's pretty decent (tips) if you get a good boss (I haven't). Fortunately I've annoyed enough important people now and I'm getting a summer horse racing job, yays.

So yeah, definitely get a job, its easier if you live in the countryside, but I guess just keep turning up and asking in shops, look online (most stores now have vacancy checks for you to search) :slight_smile:

13. ameliawesome

true. six flags great adventure hires young, too.

14. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Thanks for all your help guys, and thanks skintight, that is true, I need to start looking out for my future now.

I will probably just go in every shop around and ask for any jobs, guess I could check local restaurants too, if not I'll ask neighbours for jobs. Thanks a lot guys, been great help.

15. jimL

Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!

16. Zaio

Zaio Guest

OMG!!! How did I miss this? So sorry skintight, how rude of me.

I echo jimL - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

17. King

King Guest

Thanks, guys, and no need to apologize Zaio, I was just pointing out that I've had a job for almost 3 years now, not looking for a happy birthday :slight_smile:

But to the subject at hand! Zaio, some people would say that you shouldn't watch out for your future so much. I'm told that almost daily (since I spend like, 10% of the money I make and save the rest in a high interest account). I do that because I don't want to be worried about finances after college - I work with someone who's my age and he literally saves like, 10 bucks a paycheck because he isn't worried about his finances.
    I just like having money, which is why I got a job so young. But you definitely should look into getting a job, even just for spending money. :slight_smile: x

18. Dauntless

Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing about seeking out anything that might be available is you can turn around and have the problem of HATING whatever you wind up with. The down side to this is when you bounce around alot of jobs it looks bad on your resume. You should spend a little time and research what you might want to do a little bit.