1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by brandyfan02, May 7, 2012.

1. brandyfan02

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just came out to my best friend and... it didn't really go how I expected. She took it well, which I did expect, but it was a lot harder on me than I expected, honestly. I couldn't breathe, I felt nauseated... maybe it was too soon, but I couldn't concentrate until I got it out & I just couldn't live the lie anymore. In the back of my mind, I can already see a better quality of life on the horizon, so I guess ultimately it was the right thing to do. Sorry to depend on you guys so much, I just feel really fragile and in need of a boost.

P.S. To anyone who has ever come out, especially publicly, know that you have done the bravest thing a person can do & you are to be admired. I know I do!

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, that's kind of why this whole forum is here. I'm really glad she took it well, and hopefully this will make you feel a little more secure in the future!

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all: congrats! The first coming out is terribly hard, and you deserve every praise fo going through with it.

And the reaction you had is really not that unusual. Even if only subconsciously, you spent the entire time up until now training your mind to stay in the closet. Essentially, your mind was convinced that someone else finding out is a world-ending event, that will ruin everything you stand for.

...and even when that doesn't happen, the initial reaction is to brace. To flood your system with adrenalin and engage the fight or flight response. And it might take some time to notice there's no reason to do that after all.

The good part is that the panic does go away, and that the follow-up feeling is a lot better. Someone knows, and doesn't care at all, as long as you're you!
    Over time, as odd as it may seem, you might yet come to the point where it becomes something rather casual to tell people, though the good feeling of acceptance never quite goes away.

In any case: congrats again!