1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loneliness?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by julia, May 7, 2012.

1. julia

What do you do when you feel so alone and you feel so empty?
    I could really use some advice/support right now :frowning2:

2. fiddlemiddle

fiddlemiddle Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do some volunteer work, help in the less fortunate than yourself does help.

3. October

Aww, hugs (*hug*)

Honestly, I usually sleep. Seriously. I'll just nap for a couple hours to "escape", but I know that doesn't work for everyone. I agree that volunteering is a good was to feel good about yourself. It will especially help in the long run. You will be around people who depend on you so your self esteem will go up. Sometimes it helps me to feel less lonely when I embrace being alone. What I mean by that is I'll watch my favorite movie while eating my favorite food and wearing my favorite pair of sweats, etc. Alone time isn't always a bad thing. Other times I talk to my friends. Usually on Facebook chat or something like that because I know they are there to respond. And of course, EC always helps (&&&)

Do you feel lonely as in like relationship wise? I get that way. Just lonely for someone to cuddle with. That's where the personal time really helps. That or family time. I can go to my grandparents for a few days and just get away from everything.

4. julia

I feel lonely just in general but yeah, I definitely feel lonely relationship wise too. Someone to cuddle with would be nice :frowning2:
    Sleeping is one of my favorite things as well, easiest way to escape, but it's too late for a nap and far too early to sleep hah. Thanks so much for the advice though. (*hug*)

5. October

Worst part of the day haha

6. justchris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I immerse myself in various things when I'm feeling at my loneliest. A lot of times that means developing a story and characters for creating short stories, which is one of my hobbies. I also find myself listening to more music when I'm feeling alone. I also sleep more when I'm feeling alone.

I'd just suggest surrounding yourself with things to do to keep your mind off of feeling alone. Not only does it keep you busy, but you might get more done than you normally would :icon_wink

7. insidehappy

well there are many thing you can do: volunteer, work out, excercise, take up a hobby, join a meet up group, etc. the reality is these things all involve being proactive on your point. often when we are lonely and sad, the last thing we wnat to do is 'actively" do anything. sometimes we just want to sit and wallow in the loneliness and repeat thigns like, "nobody likes me, how come i can't have friends, etc." the first thing you should do is change your mindset. yes, you are alone. but what can you do to draw more people that are positive into your world. also, be content with yourself. this is hard when you want other human interaction that is deep and not on the surface. but until you can make new friends, learn to be your own best friend.

8. PTGriffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I try my best not to feel that way if I can help it cuz well, it sucks feeling lonely and empty, but it happens. What's a great mood elevator for me is just to indulge in things I really enjoy and just try to forget about everything else for a while. Being alone and being lonely are two different things. You can find a lot of solace in being alone if you know how to focus attention onto yourself, especially in making yourself happy. For starters, get a bucket of food and fill yourself up, that takes care of the "empty" eh? :wink: seriously though. If you like food as much as I do, popping in a movie and having in front of my a pile of food makes me happier than a pig in mud.

9. insidehappy

i think if this works for you that is terrific. however, replacing pain and loneliness with food that is probably fattening may temporary make you feel "good" but its just a temporary high that will not last and the fat will remain. sure, you could be eating fruit and veggies snacks but i seriously doubt it. yes, i think it's important to make yourself feel good and "treat yourself" when you're feeling down, but treat yourself in a way that will help you and not hurt you (going to see a movie, going on a jog, buy a new book, put a little money away for a trip or new outfit....."

10. Condorman

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I survived my separation (now divorce, yeehhhhaaaa!!) doing the following when loneliness or sadness got to me;

1. Stopped and checked myself for why I was feeling that way
    2. Allowed myself a period of time to feel that way, including physically crying if the emotion was strong enough
    3. At a point I would then stop, look for something to do and then do it. Excercise, clean, read, work, reach out to family and friends etc.
    4. When the cycle starts again go back to 1 and continue.

I wouldn't say that I don't have those feelings anymore, I am just more accepting of them and how I will deel with them.

Take care.

11. Natedawg11

Natedawg11 Guest

Oh man i can relate to this topic soo easily and i know that loneliness, what your going through, is probably one of the hardest things to deal with. currently i am going through the exact same thing in my first year of highschool so i hope you know that your not alone and that you shouldnt feel alone feeling alone...hmm that makes sense XD recently i talked to one of my biggest role models, my sister, and realized that when you feel alone and like you dont belong just breath in and out and try to let everything just fall off your shoulders. embrace your personality and show it to the people around you! right now is the time to step outside your comfort zone, take a risk and show everyone who you are. Smile! people are always attracted to people that seem effortlessly open and happy. I really hope this clears up for you and i hope i could be of some assistance to you! :slight_smile:

12. ThatCoopKid

Mostly, I take a nap or do something to get my mind off of it. It doesn't really happen to me often (although it's been occurring more and more lately with me) but when it does I try to do something to keep my mind and hands busy, such as watching a movie, reading, writing, taking a walk, or doing something with a friend. If I can't do that, then I usually go to sleep and I feel better afterwards.

Hopefully this helps, and remember - on Empty Closets, you're never really alone :slight_smile:

13. PTGriffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

14. Kev

Kev

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Whenever I'm feeling lonely I go for a drive (as long as of drive as it takes to take my mind off the loneliness), pop in a CD and blast the stereo. It always works for me. :slight_smile: