1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

post-coming-out anxiety?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silkfrog1292, May 7, 2012.

1. silkfrog1292

Hi,

i'm not sure if this is weird or anything, but i really need some advice as to what is happening...

So last night i came out to my best friend (she studies overseas) over the internet. There was no drama, nothing. She's in general apathetic and didn't respond at all, but said it's okay and we're still best friends...

The thing is, from what i've read here coming out to at least one person was supposed to make me relieved, right? But instead i've been anxious and slightly depressed the whole night, why is this so?

A thanks in advances to anyone who posts here :slight_smile:

2. October

Completely relate. When I came out I felt so...guilty wasn't it but it was a similar feeling in the bottom of my stomach. Don't worry. The relief comes later, but know that coming out is different for everyone. Just breathe and try not to get yourself too worked up. Try not to play the scene over again in your head. You'll just end up over analyzing it and probably feeling worse.

You can't take it back so just roll with it and be as happy as you can about coming out. Her response was good so focus on going about things normally. Only difference is she knows you more now:slight_smile:

3. julia

I most definitely understand what you mean. I thought I would feel so relieved when I told my family, and I did at first but then I just started questioning myself and got incredibly sad. After coming out to my family I actually felt more alone than before.
    I can't explain why that is but only that I hope that relief will come to you soon :slight_smile: And that's really great you told someone.

4. justchris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was in a similar boat when I first came out. I think some of this was probably due to the fact that I first came out to friends, and my family had no idea. That was something that was always on my mind after coming out for the first time, and it really affected my life for the following three months. If you aren't out to your family yet, that may be a factor in your feeling anxious. If that's the case, I wouldn't really worry about it, as it *should* go away when you are ready to share with your family.

I also experienced an odd sort of anger after coming out. Basically, when I came out to my parents, I was accepted and everything was great. But it's something we never talk about, and it kind of angers me and makes me super anxious because my dad used to always ask if there were any cute girls in any of my classes/at work. That may also be a contributing factor to your anxiety.

5. silkfrog1292

Thanks for the responses....EC is supportive and nice as always :slight_smile:

6. jimL

I think what you experiencing is very natural. Coming out has many stages. I didn't start feeling the weight lifting until many months and telling lots of people. You'll get there, just give it time.

7. insidehappy

u feel depressed and sad because what was a secret that you could keep to yourself and contain created a invisible forcefield that shielded you from the acceptance of you being gay. noone else knew except you so you could take out the proverbial "gay clothes" from the closet, try it on, see how it felt and if it every got to scary, you could remove the clothes, take them off and stick them back in the closet. now that someone else knows, it's more "real" and you have to accept the reality. this has caused the subsequent depression possibly.

8. Willis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel the same at the moment, I some-what came out in class (Made if fairly bloody obvious) and at the time I felt over the moon and almost burst out in tears but I was still left with some sort of sickly feeling that I still have now. It is alot nicer being able to talk about it though.

9. Lewnatic

I can completely relate. I thought telling my family would heal the loneliness and alienation I was feeling, but it barely helped. It just catapulted me into depression and anxiety. 3 months later, I'm much better... I still have my moments, but that's more about because I am 100% sure that I want certain things from life that being gay prevents you from doing easily.

10. silkfrog1292

Thanks for all the replies people...it's nice to know i'm not alone in this :

11. PTGriffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never thought of coming out as a method to get "relief" or whatnot. Sure, it relieves some people depending on their circumstances but coming out doesn't solve problems on it's own. I think what you're feeling is normal, you might be second guessing yourself and are stressed out about this change. You'll probably grow out of it, so give it some time. In the meantime, give yourself a pat on the back though :slight_smile: