1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to survive school as closeted lgbt

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wsw360, May 8, 2012.

1. wsw360

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i am gay and my school is surprisingly excepting of bisexual girls but i dont think i could come out to school because there are some boys at my school who arent the nicest and use the word gay as an insult. so what im trying to say is how do you cope with the constant insults and mocking about me and my gayness or as i prefer femininity :help:

2. fireworks

fireworks Guest

Yanno, there are always gonna be those guys.. But haters gon hate :wink:
    The word gay is thrown around a lot as an insult. It's just the way it is, although it doesn't necessarily mean that they're homophobic. People say, "that's so gay," and stuff, heck even i do that.. But anyway, it doesn't mean you're gonna get terrorred or anything. Seriously.
    However, I would strongly advise finding out about exactly how they feel about gay people before coming out in the open. It's just something you ought to be mindful of.

Also: does your school have a gay straight alliancr? A counsellor? they can really help.you out

Good luck x
    Henna

3. PTGriffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How old are you? If you're still in high school, then just try to look forward to life beyond. Trust me, once you're in college, the whole game changes :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear though, I know it probably sucks. Keep your head up dude.

4. oneday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also had a hard time in high school and my faith in God got me through. I used to pray a lot. With that said, you may not necessarily be religious, but try to have some kind of source of positivity in your life to give you strength and help you through. Music also helped me a lot as well. I was a closeted gay in high school and I used to get made fun of a lot. I was called a lot of names, mocked by guys and even had a derogatory word written on my locker in permanent marker. High school was great, but also difficult at times. I went to a Catholic school and at that time, there wasn't a lot of support at our school. They were against bullying but didn't support gays. My friend tried to start a gay support group and was turned down by our principal. We also had teachers who would teach our religion courses and they would also say anti-gay things. It was tough. It won't be easy. Hang in there. Always remember that you're a valuable person. Know your self worth. Don't let anyone take that away from you.

5. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Being out to close friends or family members can make you feel a lot better, even if you can't be fully out at school.