1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you know if you're transgendered or not?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JojoLoveChild, May 8, 2012.

1. JojoLoveChild

i was born a girl, but i really don't feel like i should call myself that...and i'm not sure how i feel about calling myself a guy either :confused: i don't think i'd mind it...i think i'd actually prefer being called a guy rather than a girl...so are there any certain questions i should ask myself to figure this out? thanks c:

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your avatar... I love your avatar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_DV9b0x7v4
    Anyway ^,^
    First ask yourself what you don't like about being called a girl. Then go from there, why don't you like those things and in what way would you like people to view you?

When in doubt experiment! Try dressing as a guy would, baggy clothes maybe find a binder or something to hold down your breasts for a short time. See if you like it, maybe you like having breasts, maybe you don't. Maybe you don't like baggy clothes, try some skinny jeans or slacks. Experiment!

Just do what YOU enjoy. Think of what you like first before you worry about anyone's opinion. Your opinion of yourself matters more than other people's opinions of yourself. Remember that dear ^,^

#2 Fugs, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  3. Wolfy

Yay, time for me to post!

Anyway. Questions should be like this.
    Do you see yourself with a family, and you a father figure. (fathers can cook and clean too! I'm taking cooking classes so your preferences shouldn't matter of what you like)

Are you uncomfortable in your body, and would like to either, get hormones, get some kind of surgery (ie. Chest surgery, bottom surgery) or both/all? Picking hormones to make your voice deeper and your muscle mass better and a male physique. You can still pick one and still are transsexual.

If you like being a girl, and sometimes feel like being a guy is cool, that's cool too. You could be genderqueer and feel as if you're both, you can also feel genderless as you have none.

I did wrestling, and I loved being mistaken as a guy. Once puberty hit though I got really depressed because of my chest and the like.

Oh, and who you like, either guys or girls doesn't play a role in it either. Good luck, and if anyone has anything I missed, please do say.

4. Young Anonymous

Here are 15 good questions to ask yourself off the top of my head, in no particular order.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How long have you felt this way?

Why do you think you are/have been feeling this way?

Is there any part of being a girl that you do like?

Would you be willing to irreversibly altar your body to correct your feelings?

Do you see yourself in the male role of daily activities?

Do you see yourself in the male role of sex?

Would you like to have a deeper voice/hair/strength/etc?

If you could change any one particular thing about your body, what would it be?

How strong/what stage are your feelings? Want/Wish/Need/Depression

How do you feel about other's judging/viewing/speaking/expecting as a male?

Would you miss those from being viewed as female?

Are you comfortable with labeling as Andro/Intersex/Queer instead?

If so, to what percentage would you consider yourself male versus female? Ex: 70%/30%

How do you feel about your family viewing yourself as male?

If you went 100%, would you ever miss being feminine?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps, good luck on your realization :slight_smile:

~ Michelle

5. Deaf Not Blind

i the oldest! :grin:

here is some things i have thought and read many trasgender males have also, or similar.

as a kid, i saw myself as a boy at times. if i saw a cartoon or tv show, i identified with the guys i liked, i wanted to be them or like them and look like them. later, i thought about what kissing someone i thought cute was like, i found myself imagining a cute girl and i was a boy! weird? or sound familiar a bit?

when i started to get bumps, i was embarrassed, and knew nothing of sports bras, but i found my kindergarten shirts if i shoved one on it held me flat and i could put a tshirt on and be flat chested. i assume many females could have issues like that from puberty. but when the 1st period happened, mom told everyone in the family i was becoming a woman. that word! i can't say it, tell others not to call me that (i have allowed girl or if must lady, never the W word), i recall thinking i was going to grow up and become a man. :frowning2:

if you ever stood by the toilet and really had a thought you needed to pee but with a penis standing up, i admit that has occurred at several times in my life, a sudden very serious desire for that, even though i had never seen a penis. (no brothers or dad either.)

when my grandad died, i recall seeing the womenfolk cry and people use them because there were no hubbies, which pissed me off. did i go feminist and hate men? no, i decided about age 8 to be the man of the house! i helped with monetary things, reading bills, giving gifts on holidays, all sorts of things and list grew as i did, until i was doing as much as any son could do. do you see yourself in some male role?

i think more like the guys i meet, we get along easy, i laugh and joke more like them too. i enjoy as a guy does playing guy sports, bowling, hockey, etc. it feels normal to hang out with the guys. with ladies, i feel a little out of place, not sure how to fit in to act will i say something wrong..and they call me weird again. guys unfortunately like me, they hit on me because I'm "pretty." but i have never accepted a date. friends only. never kissed a guy. can't imagine sex with them really, or married as a wife, or give birth. it seems foreign. i think id feel very wrong.

but i can imagine being in a mans body and being with a lovely kind girl who sees me as her dream guy. i can see me happily married and caring for my wife and having kids. it is sad to me i can't wake up and behold i am a man! i will sadly never be able to produce sperm and father my children. if you can not see yourself as a wife but can as a husband, that could tell you something.

but i always thought besides being weird and immoral for my nature, I'm a tomboy. heck a week before i came out on here, a guy buddy of mine told me i was a lost too much of a tomboy. :grin: he doesn't know. but you do.

does any of this sound familiar? if not, you could be a happy tomboy, who likes being female bodied and will one day maybe be a great mom and wife, a sporty one!

6. 11 11 11

Ok, quick comment before I read the thread:

That is a very good question. If anyone can answer it holistically, please let me know.

*reads thread*

---------- Post added 9th May 2012 at 11:27 PM ----------

Ok..

First of all. Good job EC Trans-Rapid-Response Team!

All the advice here is solid, and well thought out :slight_smile: It's great to see that despite being one of the most under-represented groups on this forum - we still manage to leap on potential new members and cover them in advice xD

I think everyone's mostly coverered everything.

But - just to add something from my own experience.

The question "Am I trans or not?" is one that I've been struggling with for a while now - maybe not as long as some - but long enough for me thank you very much :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And if there's one thing I've learned it's that: - feeling like the opposite gender - wanting to crossdress - wishing you could alter your body - these are all feelings that a lot of transgendered people have, infact, you could say that having these feelings it the definition of being trans. But in reality, these are just common symptoms.

I've experienced a lot of feelings that most transgendered people would easily relate to. Yet I'm not trans. Why? Because I don't see myself that way. I'm not able to say "I'm trans" to myself and believe it. And until I can, it doesn't matter how prominent my gender dysphoria becomes.

So In answer to JoJoLoveChild's origional question. "How do you know if you're transgendered or not?" Well - you know after doing a lot of self-introspection, a lot of "soul searching" and a lot of experiementation.

But ultimately you know when you believe it yourself.

#6 11 11 11, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012