1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bipolar

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zaio, May 8, 2012.

1. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Hi EC.

I'm tired of reading different symptoms around on various websites and hearing different things from different people.

I am very sure I have bipolar or something very similar that alters moods.

What symptoms are there in bipolar? Also what will happen if I talk to a psychologist? What do I tell them? Just generally how I'm feeling, what's boring me etc? Or does it have to be relevant to having bipolar?

Also one thing I've always wondered. Can being paranoid to an extent, like almost telling yourself you did/are about to hear/see something and also is lack of concentration (for instance daydreaming/phasing out every 5-10 mins) a part of bipolar? I'm unsure if I have bipolar or something similar with something like anxiety or if it is all one thing.

Thanks.

2. BudderMC

From what I know of bipolar disorder (from my intro psych course, so this is by no means a substitute for proper advice) is that you simply go through "manic" and "depressed" periods. Manic basically just means you're happy, upbeat, full of energy, etc. Depressed is the opposite... very sloth, sad, stay-in-bed-and-sleep-all-day kinda thing. The length and frequency of periods can vary (I think??), but that's the general idea.

As far as I know, bipolar disorder has nothing to do with paranoia. And being paranoid to some extent is pretty normal for most people. Lack of concentration might not directly be linked to the "mood swings", unless it's because you can't focus past your emotions (being really happy/sad/whatever).

I'd say go talk to your doctor first. Tell him that you're concerned about your mood swings ***, and he'll probably refer you to a psychologist, who then has a starting place to know what they're looking for. No matter what professional you speak with, make sure you're being honest. They know what they're asking, so just let them do their job with as little resistance as possible :slight_smile:

*** I remember reading somewhere (probably intro psych again) that you generally aren't supposed to tell doctors what condition you think you have, because then they just look for symptoms that fit under that condition. By telling them what symptoms you're feeling, they have to look at the whole package to see what exactly is going on. Basically all about confirmation bias. But maybe someone who knows better can clarify.

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yeah I have manic and depressive episodes, although I am much more frequently in a depressive episode which is why I now seek meds. My sister also suffers from what I have, and me and her take after my dad, even though he has no such illnesses. My sister says she also suffers from short term memory loss but only while on medication. I have never been on medication but the past 2 days to be exact have been hell for me remembering things. ONLY the past 2 days have been like this, but for some reason now I have insane short term memory, like I'll go to google a word I've just read to define it then just as I open google I've already forgot it. Or I might be watching a T.V show, it just ends and I've already forgotten the whole episode and can't remember what I've just watched <- That actually happened today, I had to go to the E4 website just to get a list of programs so I can see what I must have watched.

I'm not overly tired or anything, not sure why I am suddenly unable to memorize things. I was aware of most of the info you gave me BudderMC however thanks for the heads up not telling them what I think I have, that will be useful :slight_smile:

4. Mogget

Bipolar disorder can have paranoid features (that's what it's called). A therapist will usually ask questions on whatever problem you want to talk about. Bipolar is frequently medicated, and the medications are different from those used to treat depression (anti-depressants can trigger mania). It's important to note that mania isn't always happy, some people became very angry or irritable during their manic states.

5. kyle 1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gah, I feel this way all the time. I've been diagnosed with depression and I always worry and can't remember what I did in the past hour or so....

I thought I was bipolar myself, but I'm sure at this point that I do have my ups and downs. When I get out of the house and my mind off of things.... I will usually be fine. But if I start thinking about things and getting intrusive thoughts, then I will become depressed again..... and the thought of being bipolar was also one of my intrusive thoughts. I could possibly be still, idk.

But yeah... it's a struggle :confused:

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yeah during my very short amount of "mania" phases, I am usually more irritable and short tempered than my depressive episodes, however I would prefer that to my many depressive episodes.

How long do these sessions with a therapist usually last? Also is there a way for him/her to ask most of the questions? I'm not comfortable talking about this stuff with anyone, especially not a complete stranger, while he/she will be doing it for my benefit, I would still be very uncomfortable. I don't share any of this stuff with anyone, literally... Ever.

7. RealityCheck

There are different classifications of this disorder. Paranoia can be a huge part of the depressed state. An example, my mother suffers from this and she wouldn't do anything or go anywhere for almost 4 months because she was afraid of the world outside. She even had plenty of money in the bank and wouldn't buy food because she was afraid of spending money.

---------- Post added 9th May 2012 at 06:12 PM ----------

Disclosure: I am not a doctor, nor is this professional advice. I feel that it is not a good idea to try and diagnose yourself. At your age hormones create effects like you state. Some people are just naturally moody and unless you feel like it has a HUGE effect on your ability to function in life I would avoid trying to medicate. Seeking out counseling is always beneficial and they understand how uncomfortable you will be initially. A lot of times you may not even talk about the subjects that bother you until you are comfortable and open up about it. They are not able to read your mind, so just be positive about knowing that you have someone to talk to in confidence that they will not judge you nor violate your privacy as long as it falls within the guidelines of the law. I caution about medication only because doctors are like any other profession and sometimes they diagnose from a different perspective. It's better to learn who you are and how your body reacts to be able to handle situations in life than to just medicate. Besides, emotional people are awesome. It's like they are so passionate about life. The ups and downs are worn on their sleeves. Life is never boring and I love these personalities for who they are. If both you and a doctor feel that medication is necessary for you to function in life then by all means go for it. Just informing you that there are a number of different avenues before you have to give in to that.

8. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Yes I definitely have bipolar or something similar to it, and yes it is becoming nearly impossible to function. Lately I've been unrealistically forgetful, constantly depressed, never wanting to hang out with friends or do work, just sleep, wanting to commit suicide daily etc. Then during my mania phases if anyone says anything remotely snarky or snide I will immediately start a fight with them and not drop it until my mania phase is over, or snap at my parents at any slight comment they make.

Kinda getting tired of everyone saying it's all due to hormones when I know for a fact it isn't. If my peers go through this daily and still manage to get through with the stuff they have to do then they must be gods.

9. RealityCheck

I understand. It's probably best to seek out professional advice. If your life is effected to that extent then for sure something is not normal.