1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cis-gendered people: Would you, or have you dated transpeople?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silenced, May 9, 2012.

1. Silenced

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of the more daunting parts of transitioning is how it is viewed from a sexual or romantic perspective from people outside it. There's a large number of cisgendered people who date trans or genderqueer folk, but probably a larger group who would not or could not.

So, I'm curious - let's see what the spectrum looks like. Cis people, of all orientations - have you? Would you? Why or why not? I'm not expecting overwhelming positivity, I'd rather hear honest opinions.

Any takers?

2. Travel Tech

Haven't dated anyone.
    I would be fine dating someone who was transgender.
    Why or why not, interesting question. I'm honestly not sure, just no real reason not to?

3. adam88

I would. I had a bit of a crush on one at one point. :slight_smile:

4. LailaForbidden

yeah i would if one struck my fancy. My reason? well.. they're human and I'm human and we both need love. simple. haha :slight_smile:

5. King

King Guest

I guess it depends. I mean... I'm physically attracted to the male body... I don't know. It's complicated I guess, but probably not. I don't mean that to be offensive or rude, but I wouldn't want to waste either of our time, y'know? As to why, I just don't know if I would be comfortable or completely understanding of what they would be going through so they'd be difficult to date... I guess??

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was going to school, I found a transman who I thought was extremely attractive, but I think he was het and in a relationship.

Honestly though, as a cis person I don't know how to deal with, and I am sometimes afraid to even ask about sexual play with the body of a transperson when how you play with zir body doesn't match zer self-conception. Deaf Not Blind has said in no uncertain terms that he thinks it's really problematic.

So I guess the answer is yes, I would be open to dating a transperson for who ze is. However, I don't know how to respect everyone who is trans while balancing my sexual desire.

7. Nightmaric

If I fall in love with them or want to pursue them, why not? I'm advocate of free love.

8. Mogget

I would date a trans* person, but I don't know whether I'd be able to have sex with a transman who was pre-op or a transwoman who was post-op. I'm not attracted a numinous quality of "maleness" I'm attracted to the male form.

9. castle walls

(Obviously assuming I was single and all that) I would but that may be because I don't care about gender. When things get anywhere close to sexual, I would treat it like any other relationship. I'd make sure to see what they're comfortable with before I did anything

10. Atticus

I've often worried about this. I'm afraid to date men while I'm pre-op because I'm so afraid of how they will see me naked (and I really like sex, which makes this even more complicated). I'm also really worried about after I have my chest totally reduced when I pursue other men, if they'll react negatively about my genitalia. This also brings about the question of how to have sex with other guys in the first place. But I'm digressing. I'm just really interested in this thread.

11. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely. Trans people are, amongst other great things, very interesting. I would love to know a trans person, let alone date one. I made this thread a long time ago. Would be great to date either an MtF or an FtM

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meanwhile, I'm not necessarily attracted to the male form, but to a numinous quality of maleness :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    For the crushes I had, it did seem kind of essential to have the feeling I was talking to a guy. Even the girls I had semi-crushes on all were well in touch with their male sides.

That's just a preference, though. I like to think I'm open to dating anyone. It just so happens that none of the people I ever fell for were women.

In any case, I am definitely not opposed to the idea of dating a transperson. Due to the above, I would probably be more likely to date someone who was FtM than someone who was MtF, but I have no exclusives. If they're awesome, I'm open to the idea!

13. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly? If they're still in transition I'd probably be very worried about whether or not the relationship would still work after the transition is complete...

Other than that it would've been stupid of me to not to, considering I'm not quite sure I'm really all that 100% cisgendered myself...

14. Aldrick

Have I actually dated a transman before? No.
    Would I consider dating a transman? Yes.

I've seen transmen I've found incredibly sexy and attractive. I would have no problem getting involved with them.

Of course, it's like any other relationship. There has to be mutual attraction, not just in physical terms, but in personality and emotional terms as well.

The big issue, of course, is going to be sex. Does he intend to have reassignment surgery? Is he comfortable in his own body? Not being comfortable in his own skin is going to be a major issue for me, but this would be an issue for any relationship I would enter into and is not specific to transmen.

I would have no problem with it if he decided not to have reassignment surgery. Having a penis doesn't make someone a man, and having a vagina doesn't make someone a woman. It wouldn't be an issue sexually either, provided he was completely comfortable with his body.

I've yet to meet a transman that I didn't emotionally identify as a male. By that I mean, he -FELT- like a man to me. This has been regardless of whether or not I found him attractive or not. Similarly, I really haven't met a transwoman who I didn't emotionally identify as a female.

So, if a transwoman decided to transition as far as she could, but decide to forgo sex reassignment surgery - it wouldn't make much difference to me. She would still FEEL like a woman to me, it wouldn't matter that she had a penis. I'm a man, and I'm only interested in men. Similarly, when it comes to transmen if he had a vagina instead of a penis, that wouldn't bother me, because I'd STILL FEEL like he was a man.

This may seem weird to some people. Someone might even wonder if I was secretly bisexual and repressing or something. No. I'm using my words quite literally: he feels like a man to me. Emotionally. I'm identifying him as a man. The shape or type of genitalia doesn't factor into it.

15. lilbitlost

Have i? No.
    Would i? Sure :slight_smile:
    It depends entirely on the person, their personality, the usual dating stuff.
    If they were currently going through the surgery stage it might be a little odd, though knowing me id find it fascinating lol

16. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would. :slight_smile:

17. Silenced

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Huh. Well that was a far greater number saying they would, personal preferences allowing, than I expected. While I get that a lot of people who might not probably did not post, I want to say thank you those of you who did post, regardless of what that response was; most important was to get some idea, so thanks!

18. lilbitlost

19. super confused

I would. Even though I'm not super girly, but I'm pretty feminine, so I think I qualify as cisgendered. I feel like, because I'm bi (you know, sort of), I would probably really like dating a biologically-female transgender.

20. shy

shy

I think I would. Mainly I like it when someone acts natural, so not at all impossible.