1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angry

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LauraMarie, May 10, 2012.

1. LauraMarie

So i go to a christian school, and today when we watched the news the news that Obama supports gay marriage came on. With hearing this the class bursts out rude outrageous comments about how its gross wrong immoral and so on. A guy next to me said "How could a guy like another guy its so gross they shouldt be alive.." With this i turned to him saying "ANY person has the right to marry no matter guy with guy or girl with girl its love and you if you cant deal with it then shut up and say nothing." then he said "Laura how could u believe that? Show me your bible and ill show u where it says its wrong!" so i did like he asked i chucked the bible at him and said "show me" the whole class now silent he was speechless and handed it back saying nothing to me the rest of the class. Next year i will no longer be attending this school for that very reason lol im going to the school my dad teaches at so hopefully they will be more opened minded about it. I dont plan on telling anyone there atm but maybe eventuly i will. I cannot wait to get out of this school i deal with this stuff everyday sadly:tears:

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Just argue we are made in gods image correct? Then that means god is also gay. If he gave us free will, why does he give us free will over sexuality? If it such a sin why would he let us choose it? (Not saying it's a choice, an argument for when they say it's a choice)

Judge not lest ye be judged.

... Just to add im an athiest so I think the whole thing is bullshit anyway but there you go.

3. unicornhorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The "if it's such a sin why would he let us choose it" it a bad argument; any christian worth their crucifix will tell you free will is what makes faith matter. It's the resistance against temptation that allows for the ability to choose faith and god, not the presence of temptation that proves it's okay. This, of course, totally precludes the fact that god loves queers, because we are awesome and wonderful, and their argument uses religion to excuse bigotry. and he DID make us in his image, which is a TOTALLY valid argument. (if you're into that sort of thing. i'm not religious at all.)

so i guess don't do anything that could put you in danger, especially since you do have to stay at the school for a while, but you don't have to take that stuff laying down. just remember there's a ton of people who matter that love you, and these turds don't matter.

4. Mogget

I don't think anyone's ever convinced a homophobe that homosexuality was okay solely by quoting the Bible. Not because you can't make a case for the morality of homosexuality from the Bible, you can, but because opposition to homosexuality isn't, for most people, based on the Bible to begin with, the Bible just justifies their pre-existing position. What convinces homophobes that homosexuality is okay is meeting LGBT people and realizing that we're human. The number one predictor of someone being a straight ally is them personally knowing an LGBT person.

Once this happens, there is a crisis of faith. The person is conflicted, they believe the Bible, and they believe the Bible is anti-gay, but they know that can't be right, since they recognize that homosexuality isn't a sin. That's when you can start making the biblical argument in favor of homosexuality.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, this guy, in addition to being a terrible person for having said openly that queer people should die, doesn't even know his own holy text that well. He should have just flipped to Leviticus 18:22.

Yes. This is the major thing. I am reminded of the time a gay teen came out to his very homophobic mother by writing a response to "I'm Christian Unless You're Gay." At first, the mother was angry at the teacher and she didn't want him to write the response at all. She ended up pissing off her son so much that he effectively ran away from home for the evening until he finished writing the thing. Then after she read it, she was devastated at the suffering she caused her son, and she underwent a radical transformation.

I think the #1 test of humanity is whether or not you really "hate" a person who comes from a group that you claim to "hate" in the abstract. Some people choose to turn in their humanity card in these moments. Many of us fortunately don't. Like that kid's mother.

And hopefully, like your classmates. I am really really sorry they said such hurtful things. And I wouldn't fault you for a second if you didn't want to come out to anyone. But if you found the will to do it, it might cause a few radical transformations. (*hug*)

6. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, that's not exactly what that verse means.

I'm sorry that happened to you. Christians very rarely actually exemplify Christ and his teachings. :frowning2:

7. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Well not exactly everything in the bible is believable to christians.

Honestly, while I'm an athiest I don't discern the ideology of a deity, only in todays society. I mean the bible says you are to stone to death any woman who is getting married and not a virgin, I'm also pretty sure it says something about the ability to possess 2 wives. The book is just being used as a way to keep up the bigotry and discrimination.