1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriends mother is very verbally abusive...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Penn, May 11, 2012.

1. Penn

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I've been looking for a good support community, just wanting to really talk to people and share experiences and make some friends.

The thing is I am 23 and have been with my girlfriend and best friend for eight years now. We are very happy together.

However, while my family is very supportive of me, my girlfriend has a very verbally abusive mother and was afraid to come out to her until just about a year ago, when she and I moved in together.

Since then it has been a battle. Her mother calls her to fight, uses very hurtful names and is generally of the opinion that she is a horrible liar and I am a "cancer" in her life. Lately my girlfriend has put her foot down and decided that she needs a break from all the fighting, and is no longer speaking to her mother.

Since then her mother has tried to call her at work to start fights (thankfully her boss is sympathetic and told her mother she is not allowed to call the business for personal matters) and even stopped by our apartment to try to start a fight with her daughter. We have also received two anonymous letters in the mail (one to us and one to my parents) that we are relatively sure were written by her mother and were of a somewhat malicious nature.

Over all we are keeping an eye on the situation, as it is clearly harassment, though not yet to the point which we could involve police (we have talked to them to be sure).

I do not want to tell my girlfriend she should just stop associating with her mother, because its not my call to make, and in the end I do not think it will make the situation any better.

I would just love to talk to people who may have had similar experiences or any advice to offer and to offer the best advice can to in return, and to simply make friends within the LGBT community, seeing as living in Kansas has not offered me much opportunity to do so.

Sorry for the horribly long post, and hello to everyone!

Penn

2. Travel Tech

So, this has been going on for about a year? That's pretty rough, but I doubt her mother will keep this up forever, eventually she'll see that she's not accomplishing anything. I'd suggest you keep on doing what you're doing and wait a little longer. Maybe once she's done trying to fight she'll be more willing to listen.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey sorry to hear what you and your girlfriend are going through, I agree that her Mum probably wont keep it up forever and I think you are both being very mature about it.

4. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it might help if she stops associating with her mother in the short term. Then her mother might rethink her approach, and treat your girlfriend better in the long term.