1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get my mother to allow me to travel alone.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Koll, May 11, 2012.

1. Koll

Hi guys.

So I'm planning a trip to Ottawa alone this summer for about a week. I've traveled to places before without telling my mother, however I have to tell her about this one because of its duration.

It's gone from me hopping on a Greyhound, and seeing my cousin in Ottawa for a week to My mother driving me up, renting a hotel for 3 days as close as possible to her house, and us leaving right after. And she wants contact info for every person I interact with.

I've been to Toronto for 3 days on my own before, I can't tell her this though.. Any ideas on how to get her to let me just.. go? alone? on my own..

I asked to go on my own and she provides the argument "You've never been anywhere" and all that. Me and my ex used to go to Belleville, Kincardine, Hell even Kingston once, and we never told her anything about that. She just assumed I slept at his house for 2-3 nights or so.

#1 Koll, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. Farouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You could offer to give her contact info, and perhaps check in with her on a regular basis, if she lets you go alone. I don't know, you just have to compromise until you're old enough to go wherever you want and no one can stop you.

3. oneday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel your pain, bud. I'm 22, I still live with my parents and they still try (and sometimes successfully) to limit where I travel. Now I just make plans without asking for their input or approval. Unfortunately, you're still under 18 and your Mom is still legally responsible for you, so it will be harder for you to travel alone at this point, especially if she tells you "no". Just try to have a mature conversation with your Mom and if she's against the idea of you traveling, try to prove why you're mature and wise enough to do so. Good luck.